31 March 2012

Chickpeas, Veggies and Dumplings


Comfort food? Hell yes. I was skimming around the internet a few days ago and stumbled on Mama Pea's recipe for Chickpeas and Dumplings. Chickpeas...dumplings...you can't possibly go wrong. I looked through my pantry and fridge and decided that I wanted something similar. So, I started with Mama Pea's recipe and then altered it to my tastes and what I had here already. It was great fresh from the skillet, but it was even better as leftovers for lunch the following day. I took a shortcut when I made mine. I used Bisquick (mixed with almond milk) to make drop biscuits that I cooked in the skillet with the veggies and chickpeas. It was perfect!

Serves 4

What I used:
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into a small dice
  • 1 Idaho potato, peeled and cut into a small dice
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
  • 3/4 cup frozen peas
  • 3 cups veg broth
  • 1 TB oil of your choice (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • pinch oregano
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • pinch red pepper flake
  • 1 TB cornstarch
  • salt and pepper
  • for the dumplings:
    • 1 1/4 cups bisquick mix (approx)
    • 1/3 cup almond milk, give or take, until the dough is held together and no dry bits remain
    • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
What I did:
  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Be sure you use a skillet that has a lid. This helps steam your dumplings once you add them to the skillet. So, anyway, heat the oil. Then add the onion, potato and carrot. Cook, stirring regularly, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  2. Add in the broth and use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrap up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Go ahead and add in the spices, the peas and the chickpeas. Bring to a light boil, then, in a small bowl mix the cornstarch and a ladle of broth to the bowl. Mix vigorously with a fork until the cornstarch is dissolved. Then add it back to the skillet. Whisk it well, then lower heat to med-low and simmer the liquid down a bit. I think I let mine cook about 10 minutes this way. 
  3. Then mix your bisquick mix together in a bowl. Use a fork or spoon to drop blobs of the dough into the veggies and broth. Cover with a lid and cook about 15 minutes. This will steam your dumplings to awesomeness. DONE! Pig out. You know you wanna. 

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was sooo good! We are putting it in our regular rotation at my house.

      Delete
  2. as a kid we had stew and dumplings a lot. but I haven't had (or thought) of dumplings in a decade. I shoudl revist that food memory! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete