07 March 2012

French Lentil Soup


I have heard nothing but good things about French Lentils, so I was mega stoked when I found some at a local health food store. Then, they sat on my counter for 3 weeks before I finally felt motivated to use them. Yes, I am a fickle chickpea. It's what I do. I make all sorts of plans to cook things, then I change my mind. I'm sure you understand. No? Bugger. Well, whatever. The lentils are quite delectable and they seem to cook quickly. I do recommend giving them a shot. If you don't have them, just use the basic lentil you find at the grocery store. They're kind of greenish-brownish. They'll work just fine, I'm sure.

I decided to make this stew with the random things I found in my fridge because I had zero desire to head out in the cold and buy more food. In addition to being fickle, I am also sometimes rather lazy. And I am okay with that. Anyway, the soup turned out way better than I had imagined. The use of smoked paprika adds a warmth that I found quite tasty. I seem to be slightly addicted to adding it to my dishes lately. Enough talk. Let's get cookin!

This recipe makes about 6-8 bowls of soup.

What I used:
  • 14oz can of crushed tomatoes
  • 3-4 cups veggie broth (I'd start with 3 1/2 cups and add more if necessary later on)
  • 1 1/4 cups dried French Lentils, picked through and rinsed
  • 2 large carrots cut into 1/4 inch thick coins
  • 1 large russett potato, diced small I peeled mine but you don't have to
  • About 2 cups of kale, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2-3 TB olive oil
  • 1 TB sugar to help take the tinny taste from the canned crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 tsp all-purpose seasoning (I use Simply Organics brand)
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp onion powder/granulated onion
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • a small pinch of cumin
  • lots of pepper
  • 1/8 - 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • salt
What I did:
  1. Heat a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil. Once hot, add the onion, carrots, potato and the garlic. Stir occasionally to keep anything from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
  2. Once the onion is translucent, add in all the other ingredients and stir very well. I increased the heat to bring the soup to a boil for a few minutes, then put the lid on the pot and then turned the heat back down to medium-low. I stirred it every 10-15 minutes, for about 40 minutes.
  3. Then, I removed the lid and let the liquid cook down a little bit further to make it more like a stew. I think that took about 10-15 minutes. But, you can leave it more liquidy...whatever floats your veggie boat. 
I very highly recommend serving this with some garlic bread. Not sure why, but it tasted amazing together. And, really, I eat garlic bread every chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment