17 March 2012

Vegan Orange Cardamom Madeleines


Martha Stewart better watch out! I'm baking my way through her Cookies book and making them vegan. Dudes. These cookies are the bomb...or whatever the kids nowadays say. Anywhoooo, I have a voracious cookie appetite, so when I stumbled upon her book while browsing my favorite Dewey decimals (the 641's) at my library, I had to pick it up. I doubt there is a vegan recipe in the book, but that doesn't matter one bit. I'm on the case.

I have a soft spot for cardamom, and when I saw the recipe for these orange cardamom madeleines, I knew I needed to buy a special pan to make them. I got mine from Amazon for about $14.00. I already know I'm going to be getting lots of use out of it, so it was $14 dollars well spent. Mine makes a dozen cookies. You can buy larger ones and even mini ones. You should totally invest in one.

The recipe below is my altered version of the one in the Martha Stewart Cookies cookbook. It makes 1 dozen cookies.

What I used:
  • 2 TB melted Earth Balance vegan buttah
  • 1/2 TB agave syrup 
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 TB sugar
  • 1 egg replacement (I used Ener-G egg replacer this time instead of flax) mixed and left to gel for 3 min.
  • Glaze ingredients:
    • 1 TB pulp-free orange juice
    • 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest
    • 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
 What I did:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small bowl, combine melted butter, vanilla and agave. Let sit while you prepare the rest.
  2. In mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg replacement. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt. 
  3. Add the flour mixture to the sugar/egg and add in the butter mix. Gently whisk the ingredients all together. It will look like it isn't enough, but it will be. Now, brush a little butter (Or spritz some cooking spray) into the madeleine pan indentations. Spoon the batter/dough into the molds. You want them a smidge less than half full. 
  4. Bake about 8 minutes, or until the middles are set and the edges are just golden. Leave in pan 4-5 minutes, then put on a rack to finish cooling. Now, whisk together the glaze ingredients and brush it onto the madeleines. You can eat them right away, but I suggest letting the glaze set for 10-15 minutes so it isn't goopy or sticky. Here's the finished product:

1 comment:

  1. They are incredible! You definitely should make some.

    ReplyDelete