30 December 2011

Curried Quinoa!!


Ever have those days when you just don't feel like making anything fancy? Yeah, I had that day today. I decided to start with some quinoa and see where it took me from there. As I puttered around my kitchen looking for other stuff to add to the quinoa, I found some frozen peas and some chopped walnuts. But what spices? Dudes, you know I can't resist curry powders, so I decided to take a chance and make curried quinoa. This was pretty tasty on its own, but even more so with some garlic naan (or a garlicky pita). They go perfectly together. Take my word for it! I command you. Enjoy....or not....whatever.

This makes enough for 3 bowls as a main dish or 4-5 as a side.

What I used:
  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup diced red onion
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 large carrot, grated (I actually used a microplane to grate mine)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1-2 tsp curry powder of your choice
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • salt
What I did:
  1. Combine broth, water and spices in a pot over medium-high heat with lid on. Once lightly boiling, stir in the quinoa, carrot and onions. Leave the lid on and lower the heat to medium. Cook for about 12-15 minutes.
  2. Remove the pot from the heat. Carefully stir in your peas and walnuts, and place the lid back on the pot. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Taste for spices and dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment