12 December 2011

My First Thanksgiving Feast!!


Holy crap, I set this to post on the 25th of November, but it somehow never posted. So, here it is...ridiculously late!!
 
Believe it or not, this was my first time ever cooking a holiday meal. And, I'm damn proud of myself. I deserve a cocktail. You can tell from my spread that I have never been a "traditional" Thanksgiving meal lover. My momma and I usually made lasagna or tacos for holidays, and sometimes, we just went out to eat somewhere. I just never understood why people would want to eat such boring food year after year. Plus, I was a picky kid and wouldn't really eat anything besides mashed potatoes, green beans and rolls from the Thanksgiving feasts my family had. So, for my first Holiday meal, I decided to pick random foods and put them all together into a rad dinner. It was so very excellent. Oink oink!

Here's what I made:
  • Veggie curry potpie with handmade crust
  • Homemade stuffing with honeycrisp apple
  • Broccoli-walnut coleslaw
  • Spinach-artichoke dip with white beans, with pita wedges and crackers to dip
  • Frozen rolls, which happened to be vegan
Here's the spread:


I made the artichoke dip as a kind of appetizer. I got the recipe from Nava Atlas's book, Vegan Holiday Kitchen. Instead of the recommended onion, I used red onion. It's what I had on-hand and it worked excellently. Here are some photos of the progress:






The dip is stunning!!! Absolutely delicious. You need to make it.

The slaw was also excellent. It was also inspired by a Nava Atlas recipe, but I changed it up to fit my tastes, adding some spices and celery salt, along with changing adding more Veganaise. You can never have enough of that stuff.


Next up is the stuffing. It was also inspired by a Nava Atlas recipe, but again, I changed up the ingredients to fit my own tastes. I do absolutely LOVE the addition of some cubed apple to the mix. It gives the stuffing a slightly sweet taste. The original calls for apple juice to moisten the bread, but I used veggie broth instead. I thought the apples alone would sweeten it enough. I was right. It was quite lovely.


And, finally, we come to the potpie. I've been making this dish for quite a while. It has evolved over the last 2 years and has ended up as a most tasty curry-spiced veggie delight. You can find my recipe here. For my very favorite homemade pie crust, click here. It's really easy and exceptionally tasty.



So, there you have it. My very first Thanksgiving meal! What did you all have?

Even Daisy wanted to sample a little bit of everything...

3 comments:

  1. sure wish i had the recipe for your slaw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure wish i had the recipe for your slaw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beverly, I didn't really use a recipe for the slaw. I used a small bag of pre-cut cabbage and shredded carrot. Added a little fresh lemon juice, some raw broccoli florets, salt and pepper, celery salt and some chopped walnut. Oh, and Vegenaise! I just kept adding things until it tasted good to me. I'm sorry I'm not more helpful than that. :)

    ReplyDelete