13 December 2011

Vegan Grilled Cheese...Only Better


I was on twitter a few days ago, and my pal @Whitrae mentioned a sandwich that she made. It sounded bizarre, but being a curious chickpea, I had to make it. It was a Daiya, Tofurky and Tofutti grilled cheese. Odd, yes. Delicious, hell yes. I'm always on the lookout for new ways to make a grilled cheese as it is one of my oldest comfort food indulgences, and this really switched it up...in a good way.

Here's my version of Whitrae's comfort food favorite:
Slather the outsides of your bread with some Earth Balance. On the opposite side of one slice, spread some of the Tofutti cream cheese. Top with some Daiya cheddar and minced onion, then add a few slices of Tofurky (I used the thinly-sliced hickory smoked turky). Top with more cheese then the other slice of buttered bread. Then just make it like a regular grilled cheese in a skillet. Cook about 3 minutes on each side, until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.

And don't forget to thank Whitrae for her awesome idea. :)

1 comment:

  1. Crazy! I just posted a grilled Daiya and Tofurky sandwich today, too! I need to thank Whitrae, even though I didn't see her tweet! LOL

    ReplyDelete