19 November 2011

OMG Hashbrowns


I woke up with an angry belly demanding food...NOW! Well, dudes, I just cleaned out my freezer last night (it was long overdue) and discovered that I still had half a bag of hashbrowns hiding in there. Does anyone else put stuff in the freezer intending to use it, and forget about it for months? I'm trying hard to knock that off because I hate wasting food. But, we shall see. Oh, yeah, so I found the hashbrowns. I am one of those people that loves potatoes...always have always will...and you can't make me change. So there.

Well, as I already mentioned, I woke up super hungry, so I took matters into my little paws and made a very tasty little (okay, okay, the pile of hashbrowns was quite sizeable) breakfast.  You can probably add any veggies you want, but had some broccoli left over from making Chickpea Broccoli Casserole yesterday, so I used some broccoli. Along with that, I added some fresh mushrooms and red onion I had in the fridge.

I'm not sure if you have ever been to Waffle House, but they are kind of famous for their hashbrowns. There, you can add all sorts of stuff to them, including meats (blech) and chili, along with several veggies, fungi and cheese. Having always been a fan of customizable hashbrowns, I took a page from their book. So, my kitchen became a vegan Waffle House this morning. And it was good. Very good. I think the only thing that could have made it better would be if someone else had cooked it for me. But, such is life.

These hashbrowns are ridiculously easy to make. And they take very little time. My version below makes 1 giant serving or 2 average size ones. Don't judge- I ate it all by my lonesome and I am stuffed.

What I used:
  • 2 cups frozen hashbrowns
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup broccoli cut into tiny florets so they cook faster
  • 3 white mushrooms, chopped small
  • 1 1/2 TB coconut oil (or other oil)
  • salt and lots of pepper
What I did:
  1. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once melted and hot, add the broccoli and onion. Cook about 4 minutes. Then add the mushrooms. Cook another 3 minutes. 
  2. Add the frozen hashbrowns, stir well to coat with the little bit of oil that remains. Cook about 3 minutes, then stir in the salt and pepper. Taste and adjust as needed. Then, flatten the hashbrowns down into the pan and let cook until browned to your liking. You can add more oil, if you need to. 
See! Too easy. And dogs love it too. Check out Daisy waiting patiently for them to get done (she likes potato, but not veggies....silly girl).


Here's what I made this day last year: Vegan Pierogies!! <--Click Me!

4 comments:

  1. I forgot to tell you that I made these last week! Best hashbrowns ever, period. Actually I made them two days in a row because we were still craving them the next day. I have a feeling this is going to become a weekly thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock on, Nikki! I'm so in love with making hashbrowns now. These are some of my very favorite ones to eat. I'm so glad you guys liked them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would you use frozen hash browns and not grate fresh potato? Being vegan is about knowing what is going into your body.....A lot of frozen potato products contain beef fat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern. However, I only buy frozen shredded potatoes. They do not contain any fats or animal products of any kind. I agree that being vegan means being aware, an that is why I only buy uncooked potato products. I choose frozen for this dish because I rarely buy fresh ones as they always go bad before I can use them up.

      Delete