18 November 2011

Chickpea Broccoli Casserole a la VwaV


There are days when you just need a hot, filling meal...something comforting for your tummy to devour and enjoy. Oh yeah, that was today. I woke up super hungry and I couldn't stop thinking about casserole. WTF? I am sooooo not a casserole kind of girl. But, whatever, I needed comfort food and I didn't know what to make. I saw somewhere online that people seemed to really like the broccoli chickpea casserole in the Vegan with a Vengeance cookbook, so I whipped it out. The book, not "it." Get your damn minds outta the gutter.

Well, I have had my VwaV cookbook for a couple years now, and I have made exactly 1 recipe from it. I think there is something wrong with me. I really don't know why I never think to use it. Whatever. Anyway, I made the casserole on page 97 (you can also find it posted all over the internet), but with some changes, including making it a little bit smaller because I didn't have enough chickpeas. Here are the other changes I made:
  • had no chives, so I added 2 cloves minced garlic instead
  • more breadcrumbs, with some extra on the top
  • added lots of pepper and some extra salt (my broth was low-sodium, so that may be why)
  • added 1 cup Daiya cheddar into the mix, and will probably add a little more next time
  • added about 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, but will add more next time
  • added in a little garlic powder and onion powder- maybe 1/4 tsp garlic and 1/3 tsp onion
  • I ran most of the chickpeas through my food processor instead of mushing with a fork. Saves time.
Hmmm. Seems like I'm forgetting something. Wait, I do have a suggestion: saute your onion before adding it to the casserole mix. Mine were still a little crispy, and I will be cooking them next time. I do, however, have some more ideas for future casseroles now. Perhaps I will be adding some shredded hashbrown potatoes into it, along with some mushrooms. Who knows. I'm crazy that way. This casserole was quite yummy, though. Especially as it cooled down. You should give it a shot, even if you don't think you're a casserole kind of person. 

Here's what my version looked like before I baked it:


Here's what I blogged this day last year: Review of Strawberry Basil Preserves <--Click me!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't had this recipe in a long time. It's one of my faves, I need to whip it out again (and my mind is momentarily out of the gutter).Thanx for reminding me- of the RECIPE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been forever since I made this. It's so good. I will def bust it out again soon. You need to try some more stuff from VWAV. There is so much goodness to be had in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gigi, You are so silly! I love it. My mind has a permanent home in the gutter.

    Corrinadarling, what are you favorite recipes from VwaV? I need some suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, i'm going to try to not go overboard:
    tofu scramble (my go-to scram)
    tempeh sausage
    carrot-raisin muffins
    glazed orange scones
    tofu dill salad
    maple-mustard potatoes and green beans (beloved potluck dish)
    both tofu marinades
    the stroganof
    stewed potatoes and miso gravy (best stew ever)
    raspberry-chocolate chip blondie bars
    blackout cake (we make this cake for every birthday)

    ReplyDelete