16 November 2011

Hain Brown Gravy & Hot Turkey Sandwich...Vegan Style


I don't know about you guys, but I grew up frequenting coney islands and diners. My most favorite thing there (besides the always-classic grilled cheese) was always the hot turkey sandwich. It was a slice of white bread topped by cooked deli turkey, topped by another slice of bread. On the top was a heaping pile of mashed potatoes smothered in a boatload of brown gravy. So, recently, when I found these Hain brand vegan gravy mixes at my local HFS, I knew what I had to make...Vegan hot turkey sandwich.

Holy hell, dudes. It was just a blast from the past. I will definitely be making it again REALLY soon. I just need to hit up the health food store and stock up on that brown gravy. I snagged the chicken gravy kind, too, but I haven't tried it yet. I never was much of a chicken gravy gal, myself. But I do highly recommend the brown gravy. In fact, I'm getting hungry just writing about it.

The gravy packs look like this:


The gravy says you can either stovetop cook or microwave cook the gravy. I chose microwave as I was already busy making the mashed potatoes and lightly pan-frying the turkey slices. It came out weird at first, with a big clump in the middle of the gravy. I whisked for about 4 minutes non-stop and it broke it down with no problem. I would probably make it on the stovetop next time, so I can whisk throughout cooking and make it smoother and thicker. Regardless, the taste was excellent! I just added a tiny bit of pepper to the cooked gravy and it was good to go. I definitely recommend it! And, no, I'm not being sponsored or anything like that, I just found something that I really love and I think you might like it, too.

2 comments:

  1. Clicked over from Instagram and I'm super glad I did - this sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Erin! I have a lot of fun over here. Welcome and I hope you come back again. Ps, Instagram is far too fun. I love your IG.

    ReplyDelete