29 November 2011

Heavenly Tempeh Wrap


This is my 200th post here on this blog. Crazy. I always thought I would do something special for my 200th, but I completely forgot. Silly chickpea. So, anyway, I had a massive craving for tempeh that just wouldn't quit. I had some super tasty spinach tortillas and some ideas rolling around in my brain. Alas, this spicy and tangy tempeh wrap was born.

The wrap is crazy easy to make. It really takes almost no effort. You should totally make some. The sauce will seem pretty tangy on its own, but once you cook it with the tempeh and add your toppings, it'll go together surprisingly well. I know, the sauce sounds odd. Just try it. Now, I'm getting back to reading a book on my day off, so go make some food, dudes! Go forth and cook.

Makes 2 large wraps.

What you need:
  • 1 block tempeh, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3 TB garlic chili pepper sauce (I used A Taste of Thai brand) You could sub sriracha maybe.
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 2 large spinach wraps
  • toppings of your choice- I used Vegenaise, shredded carrot, red onion, romaine and a handful of baby spinach
What you do:
  1. Whisk together the ketchup, soy sauce and chili sauce in a bowl. Plop your tempeh in after the sauce is all mixed up. Then go ahead and let it all marinate for a few. I maybe left mine about 20 minutes. Ideally, I'd marinate it longer, but this worked just fine. 
  2. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut oil. Once hot, add the sauced-up tempeh. Cook about 4 minutes on each side, until browned. You can spoon more of the leftover sauce on the tempeh while it is still cooking. I did. 
  3. Now fill your wrap however you want and tuck in.

1 comment:

  1. That does look good! I almost didn't want to read this post because I always miss tempeh when I see it but I will try the wrap with mushrooms instead!

    ReplyDelete