29 June 2011

Sweet and Spicy Tempeh

While this isn't the most beautiful dish, it is fantastically delicious. I have a serious addiction to tempeh, and yesterday I had the biggest craving for it, but couldn't think of anything fun to do with it. So, I hit FoodGawker and found this recipe from Jeroxie. While I definitely altered it, I thought you may want to give the original a shot if you are craving a slightly less spicy version. If, however, you are all about the spicy, then you may want to give my version a shot. It's wickedly tasty and goes excellently with some brown rice. Also quite tasty is eating it solo or from a leaf of romaine. I actually liked it so much, I ate some raw. But, that's just me. I'm hardcore that way.

Oh! And I got to use my mortar and pestle, which just doesn't happen often enough, really. It ground everything into a nice thick paste to put on the tempeh, which was lovely. I rub/marinated mine for a few hours before cooking, which helps flavor the tempeh a little better, but you could try cooking it right off the bat, just don't blame me if it doesn't work out. The rub/marinade tasted so good, I ate some of the tempeh raw. I'm so hardcore.

Makes 3 large servings if you serve it with rice or some sides.
Ingredients:
  • 1 package tempeh, cut into small cubes
  • 1 small can tomato sauce (8oz)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/3 tsp cinnamon (it's 1/4 plus 1/8th tsp)
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/3 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/3 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 1/8 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp sriracha or other hot sauce.
  • 2 tsp (approx) Braggs aminos or soy sauce
Method:
  1.  Cut the tempeh into small cubes and place in a largish bowl. 
  2. Now, if you have a mortar and pestle, you'll need to use it. If you don't, am guessing you could use a little food processor to destroy your garlic then use a spoon or fork to make a thick paste. Okay, put the onions, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon, paprikas, allspice, coriander, red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper into your mortar and bash it into a really thick paste, like this:
  3. Now mix the Braggs and the paste together. Then add it to the tempeh and mix very well to coat the tempeh on all sides. Cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour. I think mine ended up marinating for about 5 hours. 
  4. Once it's done sitting in your fridge for however long you want, add the tempeh to a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring every minute or so for about 6 minutes. Now turn the heat down to medium-low and add the tomato sauce, sriracha and curry powder. Let cook about 8 minutes, until the tomato sauce thickens and somewhat evaporates. 
  5. Serve up over rice or on some lettuce. Or just by itself. It's that good.

3 comments:

  1. i <3 tempeh too

    :) seriously, it's something i force the wife to make weekly. have you tried tempeh wingz yet? ZOMG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a mortar and pestle, but this looks delicious enough to attempt despite!! I love spicy, and tempeh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kaitlyn! It was super yummy. I love my mortar and pestle. I actually got a small one at TJ Maxx for $6.00! I love it, but I never had much reason or chance to use it. I'm totally hooked.

    ReplyDelete