20 June 2011

Sometimes You Make Other People's Food


I was in the mood for some chickpeas today. What's new, right?! What to make, what to make? So many options. Chickpea sammies, chickpea masala, curried chickpeas, stew, chickpea noodle soup, chickpea patties. The options are endless. I settled on some baked falafel from one of my favorite cookbooks, Appetite for Reduction. Of course, I altered the falafel somewhat, adding more garlic, sriracha, and some curry powder. This is totally one of my go-to recipes when I'm not sure what I want. And, it always gets eaten. All of it. The falafels are extra tasty with a little lemony tahini sauce.


My lemony tahini sauce recipe:
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1 TB lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder or a tiny bit of minced fresh garlic
  • 1-2 TB water
  1. Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Don't worry, it starts runny, but will get thicker as it sets. If runny, add a little more tahini and whisk again. If it's too dry, add a bit more water. Easy. Let set for 5 minutes so the flavors meld and the sauce thickens.


Settled on the falafel, I had to think of something to make to go with it. DOH! Of course!
I recently stumbled upon a recipe for Salt & Vinegar Potato Wedges on The Tolerant Vegan's website. Ever since I saw it, I have been obsessed with making the potatoes. I honestly can't believe it's taken me this long to make them. The wait was worth it, I promise. HOLY HELL. These buggers are fucking awesome! The only thing I changed was to use a smidge less oil. Otherwise, I made them exactly as the recipe calls for. They'll be getting a regular rotation in my recipe repertoire. For reals. You absolutely HAVE to make them. I even ended up dipping mine in the rest of the vinegar cuz I liked it so much. Why didn't I think of this brilliant recipe? I absolutely love salt and vinegar potato chips, and these wedges are a low-fat, healthier version of them.

I'm not posting The Tolerant Vegan's recipe, because I think you should definitely visit her site. Read her "About" page. You'll be a better person for it. And, oh my god, her photos are mouth-watering.

Dudes and dudettes, that was my exciting post. And a big thank you to The Tolerant Vegan for the awesome recipe. I'm seriously smitten.

5 comments:

  1. sounds yummy as always!! Going to check out those fries right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww you are the SWEETEST! I am so ecstatic (and relieved) to read that they turned out well. I'm on vacation and the internet here is sporadic and so when I couldn't immediately get online to see how they turned out I started to have a little panic attack. Thank freaking goodness you liked them. And thank freaking goodness we're now friends cause I think you're swell :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jessice, MAKE THEM!! They're so gooooooood!

    @Nikki, I'm so ridiculously excited about those potato wedges. I could eat them pretty much every single day. The Mr. loved them too, and in ketchup. I liked dunking them in more vinegar. I'm totally hooked. They'll be me go-to fries now. So, thank you for sharing your rad recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try those. Appetite For Reduction is quickly becoming one of my new faves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baked falafel tastes better with the potatoes added.

    ReplyDelete