27 June 2011

Chili Cheese Tots - OMFG

Chili, cheese, tots. What the hell else could all go better together? Nothing, that's what.

I don't know about you all, but in my pre-veg days, I used to love going to Sonic to get their chili cheese tots. For weeks now, I've been craving those little morsels of heaven. But, they have meat and dairy in them. Icky poo, dudes. So, I decided to take matters into my own little hands and create a simple masterpiece. Fine, it's not like I even made the chili myself, but I do take pride in making it better. I bought a can of Hormel Vegetarian Chili with Beans (it has tvp in it!), and went to town with all 3 Daiya cheeses. And I can't imagine it tasting any better because it was mind-blowing. Seriously. Fucking amazing. And easy. And vegan. Dig it.

Makes 3 big servings.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 bag frozen tater tots
  • 1 can vegan/vegetarian chili
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 heaping tsp onion powder
  • salt and pepper to your tastes
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup vegan cheese (I used all 3 flavors of Daiya, but mostly the cheddar and pepperjack)
  • cooking spray
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 450, or whatever temp your tots say. Mine was 450. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spritz the foil with cooking spray. This keeps the tots from sticking to the foil. Arrange tots in a single layer, not touching, if possible. Spritz the tops lightly and sprinkle with some salt.
  2. Cook about 18-20 minutes, turning them halfway so they cook evenly. 
  3. In the last 2 minutes of baking the tots, pour the can of chili into a microwave-safe bowl. Mix in the onions and spices. Heat (covered) until very hot, about 2:30. By now, your tots are ready.
  4. Carefully place the tots in a baking dish in a single layer if you can. Pour the chili on the tots and spread until it covers all the tots. Now, sprinkle your cheese on the top.
  5. Turn on your broiler and put the baking dish on the top shelf of the oven. I cooked mine about 3 minutes, until the cheese melted and started bubbling. Then, carefully remove the dish and serve. 

See, it's insanely easy, but incredibly delicious. You need to make these...NOW. Get moving!

9 comments:

  1. LULZ! i love me some tots too, and this looks dee-lish for one of those comfort food craving types of days. great idea Snarky (Meg)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes!! Makes me wish I enjoyed Daiya! :) hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to this blog, but holy cow are these tots enough to draw me in! We usually do wedge chili cheese fries and they're drool worthy, so I can't wait to do this with tater tots! Sounds like tomorrow night's dinner! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, I'm so sad you don't like Daiya. But, I understand. I was actually really skeptical at first. I've tried other vegan cheeses and none seem to appeal to me. You could totally make these with any cheese you want...or none at all. They're great without any cheese, too. Alright, enough blabbing. Thank you so much for always stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Veganmama! Welcome to my site! I'm so glad you stopped by. The tots were amazing. But, your chili cheese fries sound wonderful, too. Now that I've gotten a taste of canned chili, I want to experiment more, so thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I wish I had a bowl (or a whole baking dish) of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to say a bad word. I want these SOOOOOOO bad, like right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noelle, just say the bad word. Then make the tots. They're worthy of all the bad words...in a good way!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elisabeth, make them. Resistance is futile!

    ReplyDelete