19 June 2011

The ABCs of Food

Apparently, there have been some of these silly little things going around the internet,and it looked fun. I found this one on my friend's blog, Czech Vegan (In America), and I had to do it. Let the ABCs commence!

A is for Avocado: How do you like yours prepared?
  • I love it pretty much any way I have ever had it: in salsas, as sandwich spread, as guacamole, you name it, I love it.

B is for Bread: Regardless of nutrition, what is your favorite type?
  • Such a hard question! I love naan, pita, whole wheat, multigrain, sourdough, French, Italian. It's literally impossible for me to choose just one. I am what you might call a carb-a-holic. My favorite recently is the simple, generic store brand multigrain sandwich bread; tasty and cheap.
C is for Chocolate: What is your favorite kind currently? 
  •  I like the Chocolate Dream bars, which are one of the very few dairy-free chocolates I can find locally. I love them.
D is for Donuts: You might not currently eat them, but what kind do you fancy?
  • I haven't had a donut in ages. But, I have recently been looking at buying a donut pan so I can make my own. My old favorites were nutty donuts, cinnamon-sugar, and the cinnamon twist. Mmm. Yum. I think I need to hurry and get that pan....
E is for Eggs: How would you like yours prepared?
  • I don't eat eggs. Ever. When I used to many years ago, I would get horrific stomach pains and feel sick for hours. I did like omelets back then, despite the pain. I make a mean tofu scramble that tastes like, feels like, and even looks like eggs. It goes ridiculously well with salsa, veggies and served on tortillas, like a breakfast burrito. 
F is for Falafel: Yay or nay?
  • YES!!! I simply CANNOT get enough falafel. Baked, fried, whatever. It's only made with my most favorite legume, the chickpea. There is nothing I don't love about it. I'm pretty sure I could eat it 5 times a week and never tire of it. Here's my recipe for fried falafels.
G is for Groceries: Where do you purchase yours?
  • I primarily get my groceries from a regional store called Meijer, but also hit Kroger when I have coupons. Did you know they double coupons up to $1.00? Wild. So, I do my coupon shopping there. The few health food stores are pretty much cost-prohibitive, so I make do with non-specialty stores.
H: is for Hot Beverages: What is your favorite hot drink?
  • I love Yogi Teas, especially their Immune Support tea. It's herbal and tastes like heaven. I've never been a coffee sort.
I is for Ice Cream: Pick a favorite flavor and add a fun topping.
  • I love the So Delicious ice creams and the Purely Decadent flavors. I especially any sort of minty or cookies and cream ice creams. My fun topping of choice is some Oreos.
J is for Jams or Jellies: Do you eat them? If so, what kind and flavor?
  • I love strawberry basil jam the best. But, it's quite expensive here, so I tend to only buy it on occasion. Instead, I usually stick with a strawberry jam of some sort. I never could stand the orange marmalade or the grape jellies. Icky.
K is for Kashi: Name your favorite Kashi product?
  • I've never found a Kashi product that I liked. Bad vegan, I know. 
L is for Lunch: What was yours today?
  • I made a super yummy sandwich with LightLife turkey deli slices. It involved some soy-free Vegenaise, spicy brown mustard, onions, romaine lettuce and a bit of Daiya cheddar. I scarfed it in about 2 minutes flat. Oink, oink.
M is for microwave: What is your favorite microwave meal/snack?
  • I enjoy an Amy's brand frozen meal occasionally. Otherwise, I don't really use it all that much except to reheat certain leftovers.
N is for nutrients: Do you like carbs, fats, or proteins best?
  • I'm a complete carb lover. But, since legumes are packed full of proteins, I'm learning to love protein a lot more. I can honestly say, though, that I have drastically cut back on my simple carb intake...less bread and a LOT less pasta. Go me!
O is for oil: What kind do you like to use?
  • This is another one of those things that I have greatly reduced lately. When I do use oil, I tend to use olive oil or sesame oil. 
P is for protein: How do you get yours?
  • From pretty much everything I eat. Even veggies have protein...hard to believe, I know. My primary sources are legumes, nuts, veggies, grains, quinao and the occasional bit of soy (tempeh primarily). 
Q is for Quaker: How do you like your oats?
  •  In the occasional granola bar or cookie. I seriously struggle to eat cooked oatmeal. It kind of gags me.
R is for roasting: What is your favorite thing to roast?
  • VEGGIES!! I love roasted cauliflower, potatoes and asparagus the best. 
S is for sandwich: What’s your favorite kind?
  • My favorite is my delicious chickpea sandwich, kind of like a tuna salad sammie, but a million times better (and no mercury!). Second favorite would have to be a tempeh BLT, or TLT, if you will. I have this awesome TLT recipe.
T is for travel: How do you handle eating while traveling?
  •  I can find veg options pretty much anywhere, so I still eat well. A lot of my travel involves family vacations that include a chef uncle...so I have little to worry about there. I find that many fast food places have numerous options, from salads to sandwiches. So, I am never at a loss for food. For roadtripping, I often pack snacks like fruit, nuts, sandwiches and chips. Easy peasy.
U is for unique: What are some of the unique foods that you like?
  • For the non-veg folks, my love of tempeh seems odd and unique, as does my love of Daiya cheese.
  • Brussels sprouts, baby! I love them immensely while many hate them.
  • Ultra-spinachy green smoothies.
  • Popcorn spritzed with Braggs Aminos and sprinkled with nooch (nutritional yeast).
V is for vitamins: What kind do you take?
  • I take a multivitamin and B-12 supplements.
W is for Wiener Schnitzel: Do you ever recreate this traditional Czech food?
  • I can honestly say that I've never eaten wiener schnitzel. I don't even know what it is. Maybe I'll have to look into it.
X is X-RAY: If we xrayed your belly right now, what food would we see?
  • Raspberries. A lot of raspberries. And water.
Y is for Youth: What foods remind you of your childhood?
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Mac and Cheez
  • Spaghetti and lasagna
  • Raspberries (we had a massive raspberry bush in our back yard when I was little)
  • Corn on the cob
Z is for Zucchini: How do you prepare it?
  • Lightly sauteed with some vegan butter, onions, and mushrooms
  • Grilled
  • Raw in salad
  • Roasted in the oven

So, there you have it. That's my ABCs of food!

4 comments:

  1. This is totally fun...Don't tell anybody but I say K is for Krappy Kashi. yay falafel and popcorn with nooch and Daiya!Can't say I've ever experienced strawberry basil preserves, but my answers would be parallel with yours. Thanx for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Gigi, you're right about Kashi. I really just can't find anything of theirs that I like, especially the cereals. Blah.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your ABC's of food :-) I like Chocolate Dream as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very welcome. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete