22 April 2011

Vegan Cheddar Garlic Biscuits

Cheddar Garlic Biscuits made VEGAN? Hell yes. I may have mentioned this already, but I ordered the giant 5lb bag of Daiya cheddar from Vegan Essentials recently because I loathe driving 80 miles roundtrip to WholeFoods just to buy it. So, as I was digging through my fridge this morning trying to decide what to make for breakfast, I saw a baggie of cheddar calling my name (lightbub over my head). I had been really wanting to try to make a vegan cheddar garlic biscuit, so I did. And I can say this with absolute confidence: I rocked this recipe. The only way you won't like it is if you're a complete hater of Daiya. In which case, we can no longer be friends. Sorry. End of the road.

When it comes to cooking pet peeves, I hate rolling out doughs of any kind, so I made these biscuits "drop biscuits." Sort of amoeba-like, they're free-form, kick-ass yumminess. I suppose you could use some fresh garlic, though I don't really know how that would turn out. Don't blame me if it's shitty...I tried to warn you. Though I highly recommend melting the butter and some garlic salt (not powder) and brushing it over the cooked biscuits. So good. And kind of like the old-school cheddar bay biscuits from Red Lobster, which was the only thing I ever ate there when I was younger. Now you know the story, get to work. Make these biscuits.

Makes 4 large biscuits....and I'm not ashamed to admit that I ate 2.

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 TB all-purpose flour (unbleached, of course)
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 TB butter flavored shortening
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup Daiya cheddar
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • Optional ingredients for glazing the tops:
    • 1 TB vegan butter
    • 1/2 tsp garlic SALT


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 430 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper
  2. Pour the milk and vinegar into a measuring cup and let sit about 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, start step 3.
  3. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder and shortening. Use a fork or pastry cutter to mix until the shortening pieces are no larger than pea-size.
  4. Pour the milk into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined and no dry spots remain. Then, gently fold the cheese into the dough. The dough should be kind of sticky, yet firm. It will want to stay in one big piece.
  5. Use a fork and scoop out the batter into 4 equal-sized chunks on the baking sheet. 
  6. Bake on middle rack for 14-18 minutes. The biscuits will be lightly browned around the edges and bottom. 
  7. Then, melt the butter and garlic salt in a tiny bowl in your microwave. Mix well and brush it on the tops of the biscuits, if you feel like it. I highly recommend it.
Well, what are you waiting for? Make them already! Don't make me tell you again *fist shake*

5 comments:

  1. Just made these - they are delicious! And I ate 2 of them too :) Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these whole wheat for dinner. Even my Asperger's child who fights with me over new food liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, Thank you so much for stopping by! I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe! It's been ages since I've made them, but I definitely need to make time to make them again.

    @ Buttercut Pandacakes, thank you for letting me know that the recipe works with wheat! I'm so super glad your child enjoyed them. How cool. I love to hear about changes people make to my recipes...and I like to hear that they liked to eat them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these http://tinyurl.com/74olzb7 except i used the pepper jack and mozz daiya. and almost encountered disaster when i accidentally measured out 3/4 cups of soy milk instead of 1/3c but i managed to save it with the quick prep of a second dry mix. In the end they turned out amazing, i even made my own garlic salt with the ol mortal and pestal.

    i just discovered your blog yesterday and i've already got many recipes bookmarked to make. number one on my list after tonight is the Taquitos!!!!! I was thinking of using some jerk seitan i made up last night instead of the gardein fillets. Thank you for everything.

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome recipe- thanks a lot! I added some organic fresh garlic as well. Turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete