07 April 2011

Split Pea Burgers & My Eco Craft

About a month ago, I bought some dried split peas and had no idea what to do with them, but I wanted to try them out. Well, I threw them in the cupboard and forgot about them until earlier today when I stumbled upon Alton Brown's recipe for split pea burgers, so I knew I had to make an attempt at them. As always, I have a serious inability to follow recipes. I always have to give them my own spin and make changes based on my tastes as I am a picky chickpea with particular tastes. And, I have to say, I rocked this recipe out. It was a serious hit at my house. As you can see in the photo, I made some baked tater tots. What you can't see is the amazing queso dip I made to dip the tater tots into. WHOA. Seriously yum.

Makes 4 average-sized burgers

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup diced onion
  • 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • kosher salt to your tastes
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup dried split peas
  • 1/4 cup raw brown rice
  • 3/4 tsp coriander
  • 3/4 tsp cumin
  • black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs plus 2-3 TB for coating the burger before cooking
  • 2 TB vital wheat gluten
Method:
  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the onion, bell pepper and some salt. Let them cook about 4 minutes. Then add in the mushrooms and garlic and cook another 4 minutes. 
  2. Then add the peas, rice, broth, and spices and stir well. Turn heat to medium-high until the mix starts to boil. Then turn to medium-low and simmer about 40-50 minutes, or until the rice and peas are softened. Be sure to stir ever 5-10 minutes to make sure nothing sticks to the pan. There should be no liquid left when it is done.
  3. Remove from the heat and carefully pour the mixture into a food processor. Whir a few times, until the mix is chopped, but NOT pureed. I think I whirred it about 7-8 times total. 
  4. Pour the mix into a large bowl. Use a large wooden spoon to stir the 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and the gluten into the bowl. It should start solidifying almost instantly. Just mix until you can't see any dry breadcrumbs. Then put the bowl in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
  5. Pour the rest of the bread crumbs onto a small plate. Then remove the peas from the fridge and cut into 4 equal-sized pieces. Shape the pieces into round patties. Then, carefully set the first patty on the bread crumbs. Flip to coat the other side, too. Once they are all coated, you'll want to heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray the skillet with a little cooking spray.
  6. Cook the patties for about 4 minutes on each side, or until the breadcrumbs are browned and the patties are cooked through.
I liked mine with some Vegenaise, raw onion and mustard, but you should dress the split pea burgers however you like. Though, my way is far superior. Hahaha.

And now, for my Eco-Craft:
A couple years ago, I made someone a scarf with this outrageously pink yarn, and had half a skein left over. I threw it in the closet and totally forgot about it until last night when I went looking for something else. I thought, "Hey, I should make something with this." So, I decided that instead of tossing out the obnoxious-colored yarn, I will make a dog/cat blanket. And, I am thinking that I'll donate it to the local animal shelter. They are always in desperate need of blankets and towels to line the cages and give the animals a little comfort. I don't know if the yarn I have will run out before I'm done, so it may end up being several different colors. But, who cares if it helps the animals!?!
What I am getting at though, is that instead of tossing out your old yarn, or other leftover crafting supplies, put it all together and make something else with it! Reduce your waste. So, here is what the blanket is looking like so far:


Have a kickass day!

    3 comments:

    1. Split pea burgers! Genius! I can't wait to try this recipe (I always have at least two bell jars full of split peas on hand)!

      Lovin' that pink. I haven't picked up my knitting needles in over a year. That's one thing I can't see to find the time for these days. Sigh.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Looks yummy! I'll have to try that. It is something to do with split peas other than soup which is my go to. Yum!

      ReplyDelete
    3. That looks great! I was looking forward to the recipe after you mentioned this burger on Twitter. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete