15 April 2011

TVP Tacos - Vegan & Fabulous

TVP (textured vegetable protein, though there is also TSP, which is soy protein) is something I've been sort of wary of. Call me crazy, but it looked like pebbles. Why would I want to eat pebbles? Alright, so I used it twice before: Shepherd's Pie and Winter Stew, both of which were excellent. I had actually forgotten that the TVP was in my cupboard, hidden behind some dried beans and pasta. I am a forgetful chickpea sometimes. Now where was I? Oh, yes, I have hardly used TVP before. I'm seriously skeptical of meat replacements, in general because I never really liked meat too much. But, I am coming around a bit.

If you've been here before you may notice that I have a fascination (also read: addiction) with tacos. They're one of the best foods ever created, hands-down. Name a better food? You can't, can you? Ha. I win! So, anyway, when I was deciding what I wanted for dinner, I found the TVP along with some crunchy taco shells and half a jar of salsa. Thus, my TVP taco recipe was born.

And for those of you following the VegNews meat photo debacle, these photos are mine and they are 100% vegan!!

Anywhooo, here's my recipe. It makes kind of a lot...more than I anticipated, actually. I'd say it makes about 10-12 tacos depending on the size of them.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup TVP/TSP
  • 3/4 cup plus 3 TB veg broth
  • 1 TB Braggs aminos
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1 cup chunky salsa of your choice (I maybe used a bit more)
  • 1/2 cup red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced (I used an orange one since it was on sale)
  • 1 1/2 TB Meg's Taco Seasoning or your favorite spice blend
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Method:
  1. In a small pot, bring the broth, Braggs, garlic powder and onion powder to a boil with the lid on. Once boiling, remove from the heat and stir in the TVP until you don't see any dry spots. Let set aside for about 8 minutes while the TVP re-hydrates. 
  2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and bell pepper. When the onion is translucent (5-6 minutes), add the taco seasoning, salsa, and re-hydrated TVP. Mix well.
  3. Heat through, about 7-8 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. It should look like this:


No matter how you assemble your taco, you have me to thank! Hahahaha. I'm kidding. Sort of. Mwaahaaahaaaaaa!

    10 comments:

    1. Are you sure that's your own picture? I swear I've seen it before on a stock site...

      I kid, I kid! Seriously, your tacos look awesome! I need to bust out TVP more often!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh. My. I love me some TVP! Looks fab.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I used to use TVP a lot back in the day before there were so many meat substitutes. I need to try using it again - looks yummy.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thank you all forth kind words. I was really surprised at how delicious these tacos turned out. And to Liz, you're silly! I guarantee that is my plate and placemat...and cheap plastic salad bowl! Hahaha

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thank you so so so damn much. I recently started living a Vegan lifestyle and have Been starving my ass off, bored to death with Fruit and salads every day. I am not a creative kitchen chick and don't have time to create and modify recipe's. I have looked at many blogs and recipes and they all seem so damn confusing and like so much work, until now. I just made this TVP taco meat and added it to a salad because I'm low carb as well, and can't wait to make so many of your recipes. I also dig the fact that your by no means condescending in your blog, your pretty cool. So thanks for helping me feed myself.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Rainyb!
        I'm so glad to be of help. I'm really into taking my old omni favorites and making them easy and vegan. If you ever have questions, feel free to ask. I'll help out however I can. I try not to use too many specialty ingredients because they are pretty hard to find in my town, so I have to get all my groceries at a regular grocery store. Anyway, thank you again for the kind words and I hope to hear from you sometime. Good luck on your vegan journey!

        Delete
    6. Hi! I just discovered your blog when I was looking for a tvp taco recipe. Happy Mofo to you!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Hi!

      I'm Christina, a writer for Buzzfeed, and I'd love to use a photo from this for a post on cooking tricks. Please let me know if this is possible, and if so, how you'd like to be credited.

      Thank you!
      Christina

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hi Christina,
        Thank you for popping in to my site, which I haven't updated in ages (life). Yes, you're welcome to use my photo, and just provide a link to the site. My name is Meagan B. If there's anything else you need just let me know. Please send me a link to your article when you've published so I can share it. Thanks!! Meg B

        Delete