17 April 2011

Spectacular Vegan Spaghetti with TVP

I have finally, and fully, accepted that I love TVP. I have seen the light. It can really take on some great flavors. And, it works excellently as a replacement for ground meats, especially ground beef or turkey. The texture is similar, and easily fools unsuspecting folks...not that I'd know... ahem.

So, I've really been wanting some spaghetti lately, and with my recent fascination with TVP, it seemed only natural to add it to my sauce and veggies and see how it worked out. Oh, baby. It was so so so terrific. My tastebuds were in love from the second it touched my tongue. Add a little garlic bread and you are in business. Holy hell, I can't wait for leftovers tomorrow.

Makes enough for 4 servings as main course...or if you are a glutton, maybe just 2 servings. I dunno. 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb spaghetti or other noodles
  • 1 cup TVP/TSP
  • 3/4 cup plus 3 TB vegetable broth
  • 1 TB Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
  • 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/3 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1 jar of your favorite sauce (or homemade. I used Bertolli Tomato Basil sauce today to save time)
  • 1-2 TB olive oil
  • 1 small zucchini, cubed
  • 1 small yellow squash, cubed
  • 1/3 cup red onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced (I had orange as it was on sale)
  • 5 cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pinch sugar (optional)
  • salt and pepper as needed
Method:
  1.  Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook spaghetti to the package's directions. While the pasta is cooking, get started on step 2 and 3.
  2. Combine vegetable broth, Braggs, liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder, and cracked black pepper in a small pot with a lid. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in the TVP until no dry spots remain. Set pot aside while the TVP re-hydrates.
  3. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, squash. Saute about 5 minutes, then add the mushroom, garlic, and rehydrated TVP. Cook about 5 minutes.
  4. Add in the sauce. Let it all simmer together over a medium-low heat for about 8 minutes, so the flavors meld. Adjust your seasonings and add the sugar (if you're so inclined). 
  5. Serve the sauce over your noodles, duh. I always make some garlic bread with pasta, and you should, too. Really. If you don't, you're wasting a perfectly good combo of sauce and bread.

1 comment: