24 January 2011

Pasta Fagioli: The pasta no one can pronounce

I was ecstatic a few days ago when a trip to WholeFoods resulted in a bulk purchase of dried cannellini beans. I've been looking for these buggers for months, and no local stores ever had them. So, when I found them at WF, I squealed with delight. No, really, I did. I was just so excited to finally find what I started to think of as "The Holy Bean Grail." I began to think they didn't even actually exist, but were some mythical bean people spotted like the Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot. Anywhoooo

I soaked the beans over Saturday night and cooked them up last night to go into one of the easiest, most tasty pasta dishes I've had at home (or anywhere, for that matter) in a while. And it's mega cheap since most people who cook regularly have the ingredients on hand already. Except, I ran out of tomatoes and sauce a few days ago, so I had to buy those. So, whatever. You can really use any pasta you want, but I had penne rigate, which is my personal favorite. I should add now, before I forget, that this is partly someone else's recipe, but, of course, I added my own changes to fit my own tastes. I borrow recipes sometimes from LiberalPortions as we seem to have very similar tastes and his recipes are rockin. I was stumped about what I wanted to make with my beans, and he helpfully suggested this dish. So, thank you, or whatever.

This is my version, which is plenty for 2-3 massive servings. Goes really well with a nice garlicky bread, too.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb of your fave pasta, mine is penne
  • 1- 14oz. can of diced tomatoes and the juices
  • 1 to 1 1/2 small can(s) of tomato sauce 
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 TB Braggs liquid aminos
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans
  • pepper and salt to your tastes, I like kind of a lot of pepper.
  • 7-8 large, fresh basil leaves, shredded or what have you
 Method:
  1. Put your pasta in some salted, boiling water. Cook according to the directions. Then drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, you will heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Then add in the pepper flakes and minced garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
  3. Add the tomatoes and the liquid to the skillet. Stir around to combine. Let this bubble/boil away for about 12-15 minutes.
  4. Stir in the spices, Braggs, and sauce. Test for flavor and adjust as needed. 
  5. Add in the beans and pasta. Stir well and turn heat to low and simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the fresh basil leaves. Cook 2 minutes, then it's done! 
Easy peasy. And yummy, yummy, yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment