25 January 2011

Mac & Cheese with Daiya - WOW


Today was one "one of those days." You know the type. The kind of day where you just want to stay in your jammies and watch mindless teevee all day long because it's too damn cold to do anything else? This day was the impetus for making this mac and cheese. I had some Daiya calling my name from the fridge and I couldn't resist; I had to make mac and cheese.

I didn't even bother attempting to find any recipes online. I had a pretty good idea of how I would make it based on my previous experiences as a vegetarian,who happened to have about 20 different mac and cheese recipes. This is why I was a pudge in my previous life.

So, without further ado, here is my spectacular vegan Daiya Mac and Cheese recipe!
Makes 2-3 large bowls of mac, at least if you use fusili, like I did. The best part of all, though, is that it takes only about 10-15 minutes from when you start boiling the pasta to when you're pigging out.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound of fusili (or your preferred pasta)
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tsp almond milk
  • 2-3 TB Earth Balance
  • 1/2 tsp flour
  • 2/3 cup Daiya cheddar
  • 1/2 cup Daiya mozzarella
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 TB nutritional yeast (nooch)
  • 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper (I like a lot of pepper, so you may want to taste as you go)
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Method:
  1. Boil salted water in a medium size pot. Add your pasta and cook according to package directions. Then drain and set aside. 
  2. While the pasta is cooking, get another pot. Heat over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup milk and Earth Balance. Whisk in the flour and spices. Bring to a gentle boil, until the sauce starts to thicken. Be sure to stir often, scraping the bottom or else it will burn to your pan.
  3. Turn heat to med-low and use a whisk to mix in the cheese. Keep whisking until cheese is almost entirely melted. I had to add that last TB of milk and whisk more to really make the cheese practically velvety smooth. It will get smoother when you add the pasta.
  4. Fold in your pasta. I let mine cook on low for another minute, just for good measure. 
  5. Adjust any seasonings and serve it up!
Your tastebuds will thank you. Or not. Whatever.

12 comments:

  1. This looks great! I have been meaning to try veg mac and cheese with daiya and I think I found a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you for sharing, Meg! I'm gonna go out, get me some Daiya, and eat this! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks so good! Daiya is AMAZING! I'm going to try this recipe out asap. Thanks!

    Kaycee
    Follow my blog for vegan recipes!
    Vegan Machine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want two bowls right now! What a great recipe! I like that you get pretty immediate satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Daiya cheese! When picking up toppings (eggplant and baby spinach) for part deux of vegan pizza night, I had an irrational fear that all of the Daiya would be gone by the time that I needed it for…yet another vegan pizza night this Friday with friends…so I bought a bunch.

    And now I'm definitely going to have to make mac+cheese. Go team vegan pigging out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wowza that looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMM I just made this and it was DELICIOUS!!! of course I didn't have all the ingredients so I was forced to modify- only mozzarella, no cheddar, hemp milk instead of almond, and no mustard powder and it was still amazing!! My mom (still weary about her new vegan lifestyle) said it was better than "regular" macaroni and cheese! Thank you for the recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really good!! I used Road's End Organics cheddar sauce instead of the flour and nooch (since those are the two main ingredients in their sauce) and added broccoli. Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this recipe. My daughter can't have dairy and this mac and cheese fits the bill. She loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, i made this recipe last night, but without the nutritional yeast and it tasted great! thanks for the amazing recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was awesome! Thank you so much! I had to make a few subs with what I had on hand (only cheddar daiya cheese, soy milk) also my son his gluten free but it turned out great! I think this is something even my husband who is far from vegan will like and I really am enjoying the rest of your blog too! Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn this was tasty! I had cocnut milk, coconut oil and arrowroot on hand so I subbed them for the soymilk, earth balance and flour respectively. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete