22 January 2011

Aloo Masala My Way

When I was in Boston a few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of eating the most spectacular wrap at a little Indian takeout shop. It was an amazing Aloo Masala on a naan wrap. It had the masala, some rice, lettuce, tomatoes and cukes and a killer garlic chili sauce. It was fucking beautiful. Holy yum, dude. Despite becoming a vegan piggy and scarfing the hell out of the wrap, I couldn't eat all of it. It was massive. And, I knew that I needed to make it as soon as humanly possible. I partly stole this recipe from my pal's blog: Liberal Portions. He knows I'm snagging and changing his recipe a bit, so bite me!

I really have no reason to explain any more details, so here is my version of the Liberal Portions' recipe, which makes 3-4 sizeable wraps. I shall warn you, my spice measurements may be a bit low as I just kept adding more and more spices to my personal tastes. My garlic naan is the perfect companion for this masala!

Ingredients:
  • 3-4 potatoes, peeled, chopped into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 TB olive oil 
  • 1 TB mustard seed 
  • 1 1/2 TB cumin 
  • 1 1/4 tsp turmeric 
  • 1 tsp ginger 
  • 3 TB Curry powder (I used a mix of madras and regular curry powders) 
  • 3/4 tsp allspice
  • 1 tsp nutmeg 
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 2 carrots, peeled, sliced thinly and steamed (or use frozen, whatev)
  • 2 TB Braggs liquid aminos
  • salt and pepper to your tastes
Method:
  1. You need to boil your potatoes in some salted water. When they are fork-tender, drain and mash. I mashed with a hand-held non-electric old school masher. Set aside, please.
  2. Now, heat the oil over a medium heat in a non-stick skillet. Add in the mustard seeds for just a moment. Be careful, mine started popping and it will burn you a bit (so, if you hear a pop, turn the heat down and add your other spices asap...take my word).
  3. Add all the other spices, aminos, and the cooked carrot and the frozen peas. Stir well. Let cook about 6 minutes or so. I turned my heat down to a medium-low heat.
  4. Add in the potatoes. Heat through. Maybe about 2-3 minutes. Mix well to incorporate all the spices and veg into the potatoes. 
  5. You can either mash it all together by hand or throw it in the food processor for a few pulses. I just mashed by hand.
  6. Adjust your seasonings and serve it up! I made mine into a wrap, but you don't have to. 

Get creative. Or whatever. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. yum! what was the take out place called?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, I can't remember the name of the place, but it was in Harvard Square in The Garage building. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete