27 May 2012

Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese

Forgive the shoddy photo, I was too hungry to spend time caring.
I had a busy day today doing errands and generally just being awesome and completely forgot about dinner until late. I am low on groceries due to complete and utter laziness. Well, not really laziness. I worked the last 7 days in a row, and have been too tired and busy to get more food. What it all boiled down to is that I had broccoli in the fridge that was quickly approaching the end of its life and needed to use it up. As much as I love steamed broccoli on its own, I wanted something a little more hearty and comfy. What's more hearty and comfy than mac and cheese? Nothing, dammit. So, there you have it. Make this shit. You won't regret it.

Makes 4 servings as a side or 2-3 as a main dish.

What I used:
  • 1/2 pound small-medium shell pasta
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets and steamed to your liking
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 TB vegan butter
  • 1 more TB vegan butter 
  • 1 1/4 TB flour
  • 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
  • 1 tsp ground mustard seed/powder
  •  1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup Daiya mozza
  • 1 1/3 cup Daiya cheddar
What I did:
  1.  Preheat your oven to 430 degrees F. Then, put a pot of salted water on to boil. Add the pasta and stir. While it is cooking, start the next step.
  2. In a large-ish pot (over medium heat) melt the 2 TB butter and add the milk. Then, whisk in the flour, red onion, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. When it starts to thicken and boil gently, add in the Daiya and whisk until nice and smooth. 
  3. Drain your pasta and add it to the cheese sauce. Fold in the broccoli. taste for seasonings.
  4. In a small bowl, melt the other 1 TB of butter and mix in the breadcrumbs with a little salt or garlic salt. 
  5. Scoop your mac and cheese into an oven-safe dish (I used 2 smaller rectangle Le Creuset stoneware baking dishes). Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the tops. 
  6. Bake for 12 minutes on the top rack, then turn on the broiler for a minute or two to brown up the breadcrumbs.

3 comments:

  1. Firstly - YUM!

    Secondly - I love the new banner, Meg! Michelle is the best :D

    Also, I can't be bothered to log into my other account so this is Mands (d'uh!) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mands!!!
      Haha! Thanks! Michelle really is awesome. She created 3 banners, and I ended up buying all 3. I'll switch them out occasionally. I just couldn't decide which I liked best. I will be posting soon on the VeganYANerds blog soon. I'm really loving Jane by April Lindner. Have a great day! Meg

      Delete
  2. That looks really good! Broccoli and cheddar mac n cheese is a great combination!

    ReplyDelete