30 April 2012


Ever eat chickpea sandwiches? They're a staple in my world. I love taking them for lunch at the library because they don't make your bread soggy (I absolutely cannot deal with soggy bread) and the flavor seems to get better as it sits. As for the bread, I never much took any interest in foccacia, but the fella came home with a giant, flat loaf from the store today. I wondered what the hell I was going to with it. Alas, I made a sandwich. And it was great. The foccacia was soft inside and chewy outside. Better yet, it was vegan!

This little recipe started with a recipe I found on Happy Herbivore's blog a couple years ago, and has constantly evolved ever since. This makes 1 sandwich, but I'll leave it up to you to double/triple/whatever.

What I used:
  • 1/2 can drained chickpeas (About 2/3- 3/4 cup)
  • 3 TB diced onion
  • 2 TB sunflower seeds for a little crunch
  • 1 TB Vegenaise vegan mayo
  • 1 1/2 TB dill relish
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 2 TB nooch
  • pinch of salt and pepper
  • 1/8 tsp dried dill
What I did:
  1. Put everything in your food processor and pulse a few times, until the mix holds together. If it's too dry, add a little more mayo or dijon mustard and pulse a few more times. Spoon the mix out onto some bread, top with some baby spinach (or lettuce) and a slice of tomato. Dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment