08 August 2011

Sweet and Spicy Baked Tempeh

I totally crave tempeh like carnivores crave burgers, or whatever other critters they eat. No, really, I do. I could eat it pretty much every single day. Totally not even joking. I have a freezer full of it. Don't believe me?
There's at least 15 blocks in there along with a few in the fridge, too. I don't mess around when it comes to tempeh.

Anyway, I've been feeling uninspired in the kitchen lately, so I've been making repeats. Tempeh tacos have been eaten at least once a week for the past few months. I've made dozens of chickpea sandwiches and baked falafels. And, as much as I love them, I needed to try making something new. Something spicy. And something that I would realize I couldn't live without. This dish did precisely that. It turned out pleasantly spicy with a tiny hint of sweetness and I just can't imagine life without it now that I've had it. To add to my tempeh's awesomeness, it's simple in flavor, insanely easy to make, and doesn't use expensive ingredients that you can't find at a normal grocery store. What's not to love?

It makes enough for 2 very hungry adults when served over brown rice.

Ingredients:
  • 1 package tempeh, sliced into 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick slices
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
  • 3 1/2 TB Thai garlic chili sauce (I used Taste of Thai brand from the Asian aisle at the market)
  • 2 TB soy sauce
  • 1 1/4 tsp sesame oil (also from the Asian aisle)
  • 1/2 to 2/3 tsp brown sugar to your tastes
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp sriracha or hot sauce if you feel the urge
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the tempeh and carefully poke a couple times with a fork on each side, like this:
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the tempeh. Taste the marinade as you are making it and adjust as necessary.
  3. Lay the tempeh out in 2 small baking dishes, or one larger one. Pour the marinade over the tempeh slices, and use a sauce brush to cover it fully. Wait a couple minutes, then gently flip the slices. Use the excess sauce in the baking dishes to brush the other side of the tempeh. 
  4. Put the dishes in the oven, uncovered for 9 minutes. Then flip and cook another 9 minutes. Done! Serve it up over some brown basmati rice. Heaven.
You need this. Now. You can thank me later.

    5 comments:

    1. dang you weren't lying when you said you liked tempeh! lol. This looks delish!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh my gawd, yum. I do not understand people who don't like tempeh!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Will definitely try this out! And I wish I had your fridge!

      VegAnnsKitchen.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    4. Made this for dinner tonight - so yummy! Thanks for the great recipe.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Looks yummy! I was uninspired for my tempeh craving and I am soooo trying your recipe tonight! I cannot get over how unexpensive tempeh is your end of the planet... I pay double that for slightly less.

      ReplyDelete