15 August 2011

Simple Strawberry Basil Jam

After my awesome success with the Blueberry Lavender Jam I made a few weeks ago, I decided to take matters into my own paws and try another jam. One of my favorite flavors of jam is strawberry basil, but I have a hard time finding it anymore, so I made an attempt on my own. This is another jam that I don't can properly, so you only have a couple weeks to eat it. I never learned to can, though I'm thinking it might be a handy skill to learn sometime. Alas, now is not that time.

You're probably thinking that strawberry and basil seem odd together, and I agree. However, they taste wonderful. Take my word for it...or not. Whatever floats your boats, amigos. I'm not here to tell you what to do. Wait! Yes, I am! Do as I say. Make the yummy jam. Use fresh sweet strawberries and fresh sweet basil for the, uh, freshest jam. And by fresh, I mean cool. Like the Fresh Prince. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. You know you watch it on re-runs.

Makes 1 half-pint jar.

Ingredients:
  • 1 slightly heaped pint of strawberries, leaves/stems removed, chopped
  • 3 TB agave syrup
  • 1 heaped TB basil, minced
  • pinch salt
Method:
  1. Put all the ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a hard boil, stirring often. Let boil about 5 minutes.
  2. Then turn heat to medium-low and low boil for about 25 minutes, or until the top keeps getting a skin. Sounds gross, but you'll know it when you see it. Be sure to stir it occasionally. Carefully taste the jam and add more agave (or sugar) or basil as to meet your tastes.
  3. Very carefully pour or scoop the jam into your jar. Let sit until it cools to room temperature then add the lid and refrigerate. 
Enjoy on toast, biscuits, or straight from the jar. You know you want it.

6 comments:

  1. how long does it stay fresh in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been about 2 weeks and it's still fresh and tasty. I just had some on toast a couple hours ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Meg, glad to see you're still jamming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha to the previous comment, hey i was going to say the same thing ;)
    Delicious, but um who's Fresh Prince?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonny! I'm definitely jamming. Taking a twitter vacay. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gigi, my love, are you serious?! Best sitcom of the 90s. It's Will Smith back when he was actually funny.

    ReplyDelete