07 July 2011

Please Welcome Geanna and Her First Guest Post!

Hello again my lovely readers! I am staying true to my word about introducing gluten-free foods and posts by my guest bloggers a couple of times a month! I'd like to introduce to you Geanna, another vegan blogger I had the pleasure of befriending via Twitter. Here's a little more about Geanna:


Geanna writes a blog about how to live an eco-conscious life while eating gluten-free and vegan along the way, found at www.greenveganliving.com. She lives in Portland, Oregon, and in her spare time, enjoys gardening, exercising, being outdoors, baking, cooking, and entertaining friends. She is a part-time librarian and also loves to read and craft when the time allows. Talk to her on Twitter @greenvegnliving, or email her at greenveganliving [at] gmail [dot] com. 


 So, without further ado, here is Geanna's first guest post with a yummy recipe!!


VIVA VEGAN!!


Everyone likes a good burrito, right? Nothing beats a warm, humongous wheat tortilla wrapped around seared seitan, grilled vegetables, and melted, stringy Daiya cheese. However, for gluten-free vegans like myself, this presents a very large problem. At best, I can scrape the vegetables out of the burrito, but at worst, I, like many others, suffer from Celiac Disease, and my body will absolutely HATE me if I ingest even a smidgen of gluten. Thus, I learned early on in my gluten-free journey that I can easily and happily eat tacos (both soft and crunchy) and most anything else including corn tortillas.

I bought the lovely cookbook Viva Vegan! when it came out about a year ago, but I looked at it only once or twice before it ended up, dusty, on my cookbook shelf. I felt that I had made a mistake in purchasing it because in any quick browses, I found that recipes often called for wheat flour or seitan. It was only recently that I began discovering again just how many delicious and completely gluten-free recipes there are inside.

The book usually is the starting point for my inspirations. I look at a recipe, decide what can part of it I want and what part needs to be changed, and go from there. The other day I bought spicy tempeh from Turtle Island Foods (who also make Tofurky). There was a recipe on the back of the box [link: http://www.tofurky.com/recipes/recipe_details.asp?RecipeDataID=50] for Spicy Tempeh Tacos and I knew immediately that, combined with some inspiration from Viva Vegan!, I was going to have a really delicious dinner. 

After flipping through the cookbook, I decided to make the Homestyle Refried Beans (found on page 86) and I adapted the recipe for Corn Tortillas with ingredients I had on hand. This deliciously spicy meal was made even better with gluten-free beer from a local brewery in Portland.

Corn Tortillas [adapted from Viva Vegan!]
(serves 2)
Ingredients:
¾ c. corn flour
½ + 1/8 c. warm water
1 t. salt

Prepare:
  1. Mix together the ingredients into a bowl. Scoop out 1/3 c. portions and flatten with hand before putting into a hot skillet. Flatten some more into the skillet, taking care to keep the tortilla whole.
  2. Let cook a minute or so, then flip the tortilla with a stainless steel spatula. Let cook on the other side before removing from the pan and serving. Serve hot.

2 comments: