30 July 2011

Meg's First Time...Making Salsa, That Is

I've always loved salsa (I can eat it by the gallon), and I decided that since I suddenly have a shitload of Romas from my garden, I'd give it a shot. It was my first time, so I was a little nervous. Dudes, it was insanely easy. I still like jarred salsa to put into my recipes, but for a dip, I'm going to stick with homemade. This salsa goes spectacularly well with my super rad Spicy Vegan Queso Dip on some tortilla chips...or pita chips. I tried both. I couldn't resist. Give me a break. I love my chips. Don't even pretend like you don't!

You can eat your salsa right away, if you want. I let my fresh salsa sit for about 2 hours on my counter while I went out and played putt-putt golf. I lost, if you happened to be wondering. I have madd kitchen skillz, but zero sports skills. It's cool, though. I think the time away let the salsa marinate and get even more flavorful. But, do whatever you want. It's your salsa.

Makes a couple cups. Serves 2.
Ingredients:
  • 1-2 tsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 cup cooked and cooled black beans
  • 5 roma tomatoes, chopped small. I hate the squishy insides, so I scooped mine out.
  • 1/4 cup slightly heaped diced onion, I used red, though you can't tell it.
  • 1 small jalapeno, minced. Seeding it if you want, I didn't.
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 of a large green pepper, diced
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • Dash of chili powder
  • salt to your tastes
Method: (is this necessary?)
  1. Mix all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust to your liking. You can eat it right away or let it marinate for a bit. Either way, it's crazy yummy.

2 comments:

  1. Yeppers. There is a first time for everything, and you excelled at your salsa. Looks terrific. I never salsa danced (that would be a first) but have made lots of salsa. Will have to try yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a good looking salsa. since so many fruits are in season, we went from strawberry salsa, to raspberry, and now to peach...try fruit when you need a change of pace from your shitload of romas! :)

    ReplyDelete