20 July 2011

Blueberry Lavender Jam

Everyone should make this ridiculously simple, tasty jam. I command it. NOW! I got the basis for this recipe from Simply Gluten-Free , though I changed it up a bit. I had never ever made a jam of any sort before, so I was sort of nervous about making a pectin-free, preservative-free jam. I don't know if you've ever had the blueberry-lavender combo before, but it's lovely. I had a bloob-lav scone before and it really stuck in my brain as an awesome flavor combo that I'd have to try again. You'll thank me :)

I got a giant quart of blueberries at the farmer's market Tuesday for $5.00, so I knew I HAD to try making this. Making the deal even sweeter is that my lavender plant went wild this year since it's been so dry and hot. I trimmed a few stems off my plant and minced the fresh buds for this jam. Not only did they make the jam mind-blowing, but they made my hands smell lovely. If you don't have your own lavender growing, I don't know where you could buy fresh buds. But, you could probably just find an organic lavender tea (I love Traditional Medicinals) and soak the buds in a little water to re-hydrate them. Though, I don't know if it would be quite the same. Maybe I'll try that next time just to see how it would work.

You should know up front that this is not a shelf-stable jam. You must either eat it within a couple weeks, or freeze it. We actually ate half of it this morning on some biscuits, so I know it won't even have a chance to spoil at my house.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 pints (3/4 of a quart) fresh blueberries
  • 1/3 cup plus 1-2 TB organic agave nectar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt (or sea salt)
  • 1 1/4 tsp fresh lavender buds, minced
Method:
  1. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large pot over a medium-high heat. Let boil 2-3 minutes, then change heat to medium-low.
  2. Use a big fork or a potato masher to smoosh your berries after they've been cooking a few minutes. Let the mix slow boil/simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. It'll get a "skin" over it when it's done.
  3. Remove the pot from the burner and very carefully ladle or pour the hot jam into a jar that can be sealed airtight. I used a couple tiny Mason/Ball jars for mine. The jam will seem a bit runny, but it will thicken considerably as it cools. Leave the jars out on a cooling rack for about an hour. 
  4. Then put the lids on and pop the jar(s) into the fridge to cool at for at least a couple of hours. Mine set overnight in the fridge and was perfect today. 
    I hope you like it as much as I do. It's amazing on biscuits, and I bet it'd be delicious on scones, too. So, make it already.

    5 comments:

    1. Goodness I wish I had a lavender plant! This looks incredible. Maybe I'll just switch up the flavors and try a new jam! You were making me drool via Twitter all day yesterday!

      ReplyDelete
    2. This looks soooo yummy!! :) Meg are you not on Twitter anymore???
      -Kelsey (SniggihDawn)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Kelsey, I changed my name. Look for me as ChikPeaz :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hey Meg!

      I'm not a huge fan of lavendar but this jam looks SO dang GOOD! YUM!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi Christa, the jam tastes lovely without the lavender. I use just enough to give it a hint of flavor. But, lavender isn't for everyone.

      ReplyDelete