26 April 2013

Savory Chickpea Crepes - 1st attempt


Let me start by saying that I have never eaten a crepe in my entire life...vegan or not. So, I had no idea how thick to make the batter. These ended up somewhere between a crepe and a pancake in their thickness. Seeing how much I love pancakes anyway, I wasn't disappointed.

I'm that weird person who eats her regular pancakes without syrup, preferring a more savory flavor. That was my inspiration for trying to make a savory (and spicy) crepe. So, I suppose I should maybe try calling these pancakes since they were thicker than a crepe. Whatever. The whole point is that these turned out so deliciously that I had to share them with you. I am trying to think of some sort of sauce to use with them, but I'm coming up dry. I did, however, use some mint chutney (just a smidge), and it was tasty.

I will definitely be trying these again, thinning the batter out a little bit to see if I can make them more crepe-like in their density. Regardless, make these. They are delicious.

Makes 4 pancakes/crepes/whatever about 4 inches in diameter

What I used:
  • 1/2 cup chickpea flour (also called besan flour)
  • 2/3 cup water or slightly less
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup minced red onion
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp ginger paste
  • 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 TB fresh cilantro, minced (or 1 TB dried)
  • 2 tsp Earth Balance
What I did:
  • Mix together the flour and water in a bowl until it's mostly lump-free. Add in the other ingredients (except the Earth Balance) and mix well. 
  • Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in 1/2 tsp of the Earth Balance.
  • Once the butter melts, pour 1/4 cup of the chickpea mixture to the pan. When it starts to get air bubbles and the edges look dry, flip the pancake and cook another 2 minutes. 
  • Repeat until all the butter and batter are used up.

1 comment:

  1. These look great! I didn't know chickpea flour could do that! How does it make the bubbles without baking soda, etc.?

    ReplyDelete