05 April 2013

My 1st Chia Smoothie


Alright, dudes. I decided to try adding chia seeds to a smoothie. It's supposed to add protein and essential fatty acids, so I thought, "Eh, why not?"

It turned out quite well and way more filling than I would've thought. I read that there are 3 ways to add chia to your smoothies:
  • soak the seeds in liquid a few minutes to let it gel up and soften the seeds
  • grind the seeds in a coffee grinder
  • or add them straight when you start blending in the, well, blender
I took the soaking route. I was not wanting to have crunchy whole seeds in my smoothie. I soaked 1 TB of chia seeds in 1/2 cup of coconut milk for about 6 minutes while I was gathering the other ingredients. According to MyFitnessPal, this smoothie is 203 calories.

Here's what I used in my smoothie:
  • 1 TB organic chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup Silk coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup organic blueberries
  • 1/4 cup carrot (1 smallish carrot)
  •  1/4 cup fresh pineapple
  • 1/2 small banana
  • handful of ice
  • 1/4 cup water
Here's what I did:
  1. Mix the seeds and coconut milk together in a small bowl and let sit at least 5 minutes for the seeds to soften and gel up.
  2. Add all of the ingredients into the blender and blend on high until smooth. Leave out the water if you prefer a thick smoothie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment