28 March 2013

Zesty Quinoa


Dudes! This dish started out as a recipe from Eat Vegan, Get Healthy by Neal Barnard, and I changed it up a bit and it ROCKED. It is so stinking healthy, I could die....of awesome. Paired up with a quarter of an avocado, it became my very favorite quinoa dish ever. I've always "kind-of" liked quinoa, but never loved it. This dish may have changed all that. I cut the recipe in half, so it made 2 servings. It was so incredibly filling, and here I am hours later still feeling pleasantly full. That's some badassery right there.

So, here's the recipe with my changes. The original was meant to be served cold, but I prefer hot. Do what you want, dudes.

Serves 2 as a main dish.

What I used:
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 2 TB dried mint
  • 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 3 TB fresh-squeezed lime juice
  • 1 TB agave nectar
  • 2 TB dijon mustard
  • herbamare seasoning and pepper to your tastes
  • chopped cilantro to garnish
  • avocado to garnish
What I did:
  1. Put the water in a small pot over high heat and put the lid on. Once boiling, stir in the quinoa and mint, and cover. Lower heat to medium or medium-low and cook about 10 minutes. 
  2. Add the onion, bell pepper, edamame, herbamare and pepper. Stir, and replace the lid. Cook another 5 minutes. 
  3. In a small bowl, mix together the lime juice, agave and dijon mustard. Pour it into the quinoa and mix well. Leave the lid off, and cook another 5 minutes or so. 
  4. Serve in bowls and garnish with the cilantro and avocado. Boom! You're done. Pig out time.

1 comment:

  1. I have been following your blog for a while now and just wanted to say Thank You for the inspiration! Looking forward to trying this dish out - looks great. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete