22 October 2010

Tu-Not Sammies


YUMMM!! I never, ever thought a chickpea sandwich could taste like an old meaty comfort food from my distajnt past (tuna fish)...only better.  I was shocked to find a simple, delicious vegan recipe to take its place.  This is my very favorite sandwich of all time, and I make it at least once a week.

I got the basis for this recipe here (HappyHerbivore-- one of my new favorite vegan blogs), but changed a few things to fit my own personal tastes. I definitely recommend using the nutritional yeast if you have some. If you're new to nutritional yeast, it is not the same stuff you use to bake bread with. This yeast has a cheesy-ish flavor and (to be frank) looks like fish food flakes. I buy the Braggs brand at my health food store, which has added B-vitamins. Do some research about B-12 if you're unsure of the nutritional needs of vegans and vegetarians. On to the recipe!!

Here's My Version: Makes 2 Sandwiches

Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup soaked/cooked chickpeas, or use half of a can after you rinse and drain them
  • 2-3 TB diced onion
  • 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
  • 1-2 TB dill relish
  • 1 heaping TB nutritional yeast
  • 1 TB Vegenaise Mayo --You could use other brands, but Vegenaise is my favorite
  • 1-2 TB unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Braggs 
  • pepper to taste

Method:

  1. Put everything in a food processor and pulse a few times to chop and combine the ingredients. I left mine kind of chunky, which was delicious! You can also use a fork and mash the chickpea by hand should the mood strike you. It never strikes me, so good luck with that.
  2. Taste and adjust. Feel free to add any other ingredients or seasonings. You're the one eating it, after all. I serve mine on toasted bread because it's awesome. Sometimes, though, I eat it straight out of a bowl with some crackers instead of on bread. Too much tastiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment