21 October 2010

Spicy Mac and Cheez


Creamy, tasty, hint of spice. You just can't lose with this killer pasta. I really never ever thought that nutritional yeast could make such a creamy, tasty pasta sauce! I was kind of scared to try making a lot of the recipes I found online because they had soy milk (which I really am not too fond of taste-wise). So, I combined a few different recipes and took a risk by using water instead a milk-replacement. And, it paid off...big time. I can't get over how delicious this is. I will warn you that it doesn't taste like the classic old blue box mac and cheese that we all grew up on. It has a more complex taste and the sauce is very thick and creamy. How yeast becomes so creamy, I have no idea. I used farfalle pasta (bowties), but I'm sure this would be good with pretty much any pasta. I'm thinking that next time I'll saute some onions for some extra yummy-ness.

This pasta is actually really good for you. The nutritional yeast is packed with, well, nutrition! Check these sites for more info about the yeast:
Buzzle- Nutritional Yeast Benefits
Bragg-- Nutritional Yeast Information  (this is my preferred brand)

Now, on to the Recipe!!

Here's My Recipe: Serves 2 as Main Dish, 3-4 as a Side

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 to 1/3 lb pasta of your choice
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 cup unbleached flour
  • 1 1/4 TB vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp mustard powder
  • 1/8 tsp turmeric (primarily to give it a more yellow color)
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, but it adds a tasty kick that I think makes this dish)
  • dash cumin
  • 1/8 tsp fresh cracked black pepper (I probably added a bit more)

Method:

  1. Before you start the cheez sauce, start boiling some water for your pasta. Add some salt and put the pasta in. Follow the directions on the pasta package. Mine took 11 minutes. Start your sauce when your pasta has 6-7 minutes left to cook.
  2. Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl until it well combined.
  3. Slowly whisk the water into the dry ingredients trying to eliminate most chunks.
  4. Melt the margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat.
  5. Pour your cheez mixture into the saucepan and whisk well. Continue whisking the sauce almost constantly until it becomes thick and creamy to your liking. I had to add about a tsp more water to mine to loosen the sauce a smidge. Adjust your spices as necessary. Then remove pan from the heat. To be honest, I did think the sauce smelled a little weird at first, but when combined with the pasta, it tastes AWESOME!!
  6. Drain your pasta gently fold into the cheez sauce and serve up immediately. It would probably be extra good with a little homemade garlic bread :)

No comments:

Post a Comment