17 May 2016

Chocolate Chip Espresso Cookies


I'm totally on a chocolate and espresso kick. There's some magic shit involved with the combo. Plus, I have a whole jar of espresso powder...what the hell else am I supposed to do with it except bake?

These cookies sort of taste like some killer brownies...but in cookie form. So brownies, but better. I'm thinking you could probably sprinkle some finishing salt on the tops when they finish baking or add some toasted nuts to the batter. I'm pretty sure that no matter what you do, it wouldn't be wrong. These cookies are magic. Think: unicorns majestically soaring over a rainbow.

Where have I been? I had fallen off the food sharing wagon for a while when I got completely burned out. I was always worried about creating recipes and documenting it all for this little food blog, and it felt more like work than fun. So I abandoned my site. I wanted to just enjoy food again, so I had to get back to my roots of cooking for fun and from the heart. I definitely learned a lot about my cooking and myself and I'm ready to share my food with you all again.

Okay, enough sappiness. Let's get to the cookies.

Makes 1 dozen

What you need:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 slightly heaped TB of espresso powder.
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup brown (or dark brown) sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
  • 1 flax egg (or preferred egg subsitute)
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup (or more) chocolate chips



What you do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with either parchment or a silicone baking mat.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, salt, and baking soda. 
  3. Add the sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat until just combined. Then toss in the chocolate chips and beat for 3-5 seconds. Just until they are integrated.
  4. I used a cookie dough scoop and schlepped my dough onto the sheet about 1.5 inches apart. If you want thin cookies, press the dough down on the sheet. Otherwise, leave them how they are.
  5. Bake 15 minutes, until the edges are firm and the middle is still soft. I left them on the baking sheet for about 8 minutes and then put them on a cooling rack to finish. Fill up a big glass of cold almond milk and dig the fuck in. 

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! and you can do it vegan with the egg subsitute!! I have to try them and share!!
    I nominated you to the Liebster Award! Take a look and, if you want, continue it!
    https://maltesesteps.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/wow-im-nominated/
    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete