03 September 2012

Curry-Spiced Roasted Cauliflower


This was my dinner tonight. A massive bowl of roasted curry-spiced cauliflower. It was spectacular. Like, for real. Ever have those days where you don't much feel like cooking? Yeah, me too. That was today. This holiday weekend was busy, busy, busy! I went to a couple Detroit Tigers games and watched them sweep the Chicago White Sox. I suppose you could call me a late bloomer in enjoying baseball, despite growing up with my entire extended family being rabid baseball fans. Speaking of baseball, did you Michigan veggie peeps know that Comerica Park serves vegan and vegetarian goodies at their Brushfire Grill snack bar? Hummus and veggies, veggie dogs, veggie burgers, black bean burgers and vegetarian sausages all make appearances at Brushfire. Kind of cool, if you ask me. So, beside going to a couple games, I've spent a lot of time reading (I'm a librarian after all) and cooking, and reading cookbooks. It was kind of the perfect weekend, if you ask me.

Back to the cauliflower. I got a head of cauliflower a couple days ago at my local farmer's market for $1 and knew I needed to get it used today, so I heated up my oven and started chopping it into large-ish florets. Suddenly, the fucking lightbulb went on in my head; I needed to add some curry powder. I love cauliflower (especially roasted) and I love curry spices, so this couldn't possibly go wrong. Right?

In case you were wondering, I was right. I ate the whole head of it. Don't hate me because I'm hungry.

What you need:
  • 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into large florets
  • 1-2 tsp curry powder of your choosing
  • Oil (I used some melted coconut oil)
  • salt and pepper
What you do with it:
  1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. 
  2. Put cauliflower into a large bowl, drizzle with  coconut oil and sprinkle with curry powder. Use a serving spoon and stir to coat the cauliflower with oil and curry powder. It should look like this:
  3. Spread cauli on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the veg and pop it in the oven for 15 minutes. 
  4. At the 15 minute mark, remove from the oven and use tongs to flip the florets over. Cook another 12 minutes, or until you're happy with the texture and caramelization.

2 comments:

  1. I always worry with myself when I eat something like this for supper! Mainly I worry that it isn't a composite 'meal' in the SAD context... But I know that's all nonsense! If I've eaten well and regularly throughout the day, and this is exactly what I feel like, it's spot on. Thanks for the vindication :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted cauliflower, I usually do a Mexican style roasted cauliflower myself. Now that I see this wonderful looking curry spiced cauliflower , I need to go pick up some cauliflower to make this recipe.

    ReplyDelete