06 February 2012

Sometimes I Require Pizza


So, yeah. It was one of those days. My half is the veggies-only half. The other half has onions and vegan pepperoni. It was awesome, dudes. To make it even better, I made my own herbed pizza crust. It went perfectly with the homemade (no-cook) sauce. Both recipes are below :)




Crust/Dough:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp coarse kosher salt (less if you use regular granulated salt)
  • 1 TB sugar
  • 1 TB oil (I usually use olive, but you can also use melted Earth Balance buttah)
  • 1 cup water (warm, but not super hot)
  • 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (equivalent of 1 packet)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning spice blend
  1. Mix the water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and let rest about 7 minutes, until the bowl is all foamy.
  2. Put all the ingredients in your stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Set the mixer to setting 2 and let it work until the dough is stretchy and just a smidge sticky. You can add a little more flour if needed. 
  3. Prepare a baking sheet with a large piece of parchment paper coated with a tiny bit of flour. Remove your dough from the mixer and shape it into a ball. Place the ball on your parchment and cover with some plastic wrap or a lightly damp tea towel. Let it rest and rise until doubled in size. Mine took about 30 minutes on my stovetop. Once it is poofed, gently pat it down into your desired thickness, slather on the sauce and then top.


Sauce:
  • 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
  • 1-2 TB Italian Seasoning spice blend
  • salt and pepper to your taste
  • 1 tsp sugar
  1. Just mix it all up and let rest a few minutes. Then taste for seasonings. Just apply it to your uncooked pizza crust.  

    2 comments:

    1. Wow this pizza looks awesome and that dough sounds delicious. I have it bookmarked for the next time I have a pizza craving.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, Ashley! I was feeling adventurous with the dough. And it was one of those times when it really paid off. I don't know if I can make plain pizza dough again. Sooo good!

        Delete