19 December 2010

Veggie Pasta...Again


If you've visited my blog in the past...distant past, you would have seen my veggie pasta recipe. But, I guess that it really isn't a recipe as I don't ever make it exactly the same way.  It's one of those dishes where I just use whatever I have in my fridge.  This last time it had broccoli, cremini mushrooms, carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, red onion, baby spinach and a ton of fresh basil and garlic.  Yes, I freaking LOVE garlic.  I even bought a stellar xmas tree ornament that is a bulb of garlic.  Don't believe me?  Check this out:


Awesome, huh?

Anyway, back to the veggie pasta.  It really is one of my most favorite things to make.  It's crazy easy, and it seems like everyone who tries it loves it.  Or, well, at least that's what they tell me.  Although, there's almost never any leftovers, so that has to mean something, right?

As for the pasta itself, you can use any shape or kind you want, but I love me some penne.  In a pinch, I've used some rotini, but it just isn't the same.  I'm sure it's all in my head, but I'd like to think that maybe the penne is just more tasty.  The only thing I wouldn't do is use whole wheat pasta as it seems to get dried out too easily.  Plus, if I'm totally honest, I don't really like it.  Enough about my pasta OCD.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb pasta of your choice
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 3/4 of a small red onion, thick-sliced or diced large
  • 1 small zucchini, sliced
  • 1 yellow squash, sliced
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cremini mushrooms, de-stemmed and cut into wedges
  • 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
  • handful fresh basil, shredded
  • 3 TB olive oil
  • s&p to your tastes
  • a few shakes of garlic salt 


Method:
  1. Put 2 TB of the oil into a skillet.  Heat over medium heat.
  2. Once hot, add the carrots and the broccoli.  Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
  3. Now, add your pasta to some salted, boiling water.  Cook according to package directions.
  4. Add the zucchini, squash and onions to your skillet.  Saute, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. 
  5. Then add in the garlic and mushrooms.  Lower heat to medium-low and cook 3 minutes.  The veggies should be tender.
  6. Add the spinach to the pan and wilt a bit.  This should only take a couple of minutes at most.
  7. Drain your pasta and mix it in to your veggies.  I leave the heat on low and drizzle another TB of olive oil into the pan. Add in your salt and pepper, fresh basil and any other spices you want.  I sometimes add a bit of onion powder and garlic powder.  
  8. Serve up with some fresh garlic bread.  It'll blow your mind :)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment