26 December 2010

Veggie Couscous!


I love couscous and I just don't seem to make it often enough lately.  So, I had to make it tonight.  I got creative and added all sorts of tasty stuff to it.  Carrots, zucchini, onion, garlic, mushrooms, golden raisins, toasted almonds and some peas all play a tasty role in my dinner. I used whole wheat couscous, which I love love love!

I also love me some Caesar salad, so I sort of devised my own recipe based on a bunch of other recipes I found online.  And, mine is vegan, which makes it even better than all the others, at least in my way of thinking.  I like it a bit tangy, and with lots of garlic. YUM.


Remember: If you make couscous from dry, it doubles when you cook it. I always forget this. And end up making a TON. So, 1 cup dry couscous will make at least 2 cups cooked couscous.  I always forget, so I just want to make sure you realize how much you're about to make.

Couscous Ingredients:
  • 2 cups dry couscous
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 small zucchini, sliced
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 4 large cremini mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 small-medium carrot thinly sliced
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup frozen or fresh peas
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 2/3 cup to 1 full cup raw almonds, roughly chopped and briefly toasted
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • cooking spray
Couscous Method:
  1. Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add in the carrots and zucchini. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring once.
  2. Meanwhile, boil your water with some salt in a large sauce pan. 
  3. Add the onion, and cook 4 minutes.
  4. Add garlic, peas and mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes. Add any salt or pepper you want.
  5. While you are doing step 4, you should add the couscous to the water, stir briefly. Then remove the pan from the burner and add the lid to the pan. This will take about 5 minutes or so to cook.  then remove lid and fluff with a fork.
  6. Now, add your veggies to the couscous, along with your almonds and raisins. And stir well. You may need a bit more salt here, or maybe that is just me because I LOVE SALT.
Caesar Dressing Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup plus 3 TB Veganaise
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 TB capers, without their brine
  • 1/3 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
  • 1-2 TB lemon juice
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 large cloves garlic
  • 3 TB nutritional yeast
  • a few shakes garlic powder
  • a few shakes onion powder
  • 1 1/2 TB dijon mustard
Dressing Method:
  1. Put all ingredients into blender and whir until well combined.  Easy Peasy.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm... cous cous (I always make too much, too). And thanks for the vegan caeser recipe! I like the salad but can never have it with the anchovie paste in the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love couscous! What a great idea to put some raisins in! I cannot live without this mini pasta. I made some couscous with sweet raisins and cinnamon sugar the other day, it was quite good.
    I have some couscous ideas on my blog post http://czechvegan.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-vegan-pantry-staple-spotlight.html

    ReplyDelete