21 June 2010

Smoky Black Bean Soup (Vegan)


Okay, so I'm hooked on a relatively new food blog called VeganPiggy, which has some really great recipes. And, the proprietors are super friendly! Anyway, I found a version of this recipe on their website, and I just HAD to make it. It turned out really, really well. And, I highly suggest using a smoked paprika instead of just regular paprika. This gives the soup a lovely smoky flavor that really complements the black beans nicely. I also LOVE using some tortilla chips instead of crackers with black bean soups for a bit of a southwestern flair. This recipe makes a ton of soup, which is good for me since I love leftover soups, and I also love to share my food with friends. I think the only thing I would change next time I make this soup is to add some fresh corn. Well, on to the recipe!!

Here's My Version: (serves 4-6 as a main course)

Ingredients:

  • 4 cans organic black beans, including their juices
  • 1/2 can organic diced tomatoes and its juice
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 4 ounces fresh cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced thinly
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 medium-sized basil leave, chopped (you could use any fresh herbs you like or omit them altogether)
  • 1 cup organic vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to your liking

Method:

  1. Heat your oil in your stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, garlic, and onion, and saute for about 6 minutes (until the carrots have softened somewhat and the onion is translucent.
  2. While the veg is sauteeing, use a food processor to puree 2 cans of the beans and 1/2 of the tomatoes.
  3. When the veg is done ready, add in the vegetable stock, mushrooms, pureed beans, the rest of the whole beans, the herbs of your choice and the spices, including salt/pepper. You can make the soup spicier by adding more chili poweder, cumin and some cayenne if you want. Stir well.
  4. Bring soup to a boil (about 6-7 minutes), then turn heat to low and simmer for another 15-20 minutes or more. If you like it soupier/runnier, add more vegetable stock and cover with a lid. I like mine somewhat thick, so I leave the lid off to cook down some of the liquid. Be sure to stir the soup every few minutes so no beans burn to the bottom of your pot.
  5. Serve with some garlic bread or tortilla chips and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment