26 June 2010

Crunchy Kale Chips


I've done it.  I jumped on the kale chip bandwagon.  I like kale, yes, even raw.  So, I decided I had to try out the baked kale chips everyone seems to rave about.  And, let me tell you, I was not disappointed.  They are crispy and delicious.  I ate half a bunch of kale chips with my lunch today.  They made a simple, healthy replacement for my beloved potato chip.  I literally couldn't stop munching them until I saw that nearly 2/3 of a bunch of kale was gone.  Even the skeptical husband ate some.  He liked the taste, but said the texture was "like eating paper," and it weirded him out.  Regardless, you can add any combo of spices and I think they'll probably still turn out deliciously.  For the first half bunch, I used garlic salt.  For the second half, I used garlic salt and some chili powder.  Both were wicked tasty.   Who ever would have thought that greens could be so delicious?

Here's My Version:
Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch kale (I used curly kale)
  • Olive oil (I actually used my olive oil cooking spray as it was less messy and quicker)
  • Spices of your choice, but you will want salt at least

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees f.  Get 2 baking sheets out and cover with parchment or cook directly on the sheet pan.
  2. Remove stems from kale and discard.  The easiest way, is to hold the stem in one hand and slide your fingers (of the other hand) up the stem, removing the curly leaf as you go.  Tear into 3-4 inch pieces.
  3. Wash your kale really well.  Mine had lots of grit/sand stuck on it.  Then, be sure to dry the pieces well with paper towel.
  4. Lay the pieces out on your baking sheets, try not to overlap much or they will not crisp up.** 
  5. Spray a light layer of your olive oil spray over the pieces to lightly coat them.  Then sprinkle your spices on top.
  6. Bake each tray about 10-12 minutes, testing their crunchiness occasionally.  You'll want them crispy, and lightly browned. 
**If you are using regular olive oil, place your kale pieces into a large bowl.  Drizzle 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil over the leaves.  Then, using your fingers, massage the oil onto the pieces until each is lightly coated with the oil.  Then place the pieces on the baking sheet and spice them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment