26 January 2010

Rigatoni with Squash and Zucchini



I have had several friends asking for this recipe lately, so I thought I'd post it here for everyone.  I made it last week and it was melt-in-your-mouth goodness.  I got the original recipe from Gordon Ramsay's cookbook called Healthy Appetite, and adapted it to my tastes, as I love garlic and onion in pretty much any dish I make.  It is an extremely easy and fast recipe to make.  I thought for sure that my husband wouldn't really like it, but here it is over a week later and he still mentions it and asks when I'm going to make it again.  To make it a more filling meal, I steamed some veg (carrot, peapods, broccoli) and made some fresh garlic toast with some bakery-made Italian bread.  I hope you like it as much as we do.

Here's My Recipe:
Click Here to Print This Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 8 oz. Rigatoni
  • 2-3 Small zucchini
  • 2-3 Small summer squash
  • 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 TB olive oil 
  • Small handful of basil leaves, chopped or torn
  • 1/4-1/2 cup onion sliced or diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: Freshly grated parmesan to taste (close to a 1/2 cup)
 Method:
  1. Halve the zucchini and squash lengthwise, then cut into half-moon slices
  2. Boil rigatoni in salted water to al dente, or your preferred softness.
  3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet on med-high and add the oil. 
  4. Add the garlic and cook less than 1 minute.
  5. Add the onion, zucchini and squash to the oil. Stir to occasionally to keep them cooking evenly, about 4-5 minutes, or until the zucchini and squash are tender.
  6. Toss the veg, drained pasta, and basil leaves together in the skillet.
  7. Add the salt, pepper, and parmesan until it tastes good to you.  
It's a simple dish that fills you up very inexpensively.  And, it truly isn't bad for you.  I'm thinking that next time I make it, I'm going to add in some fresh peas and broccoli for added nutrients.  If you like pine nuts, you may want to toast them in a dry pan and add them in at the end.  The possibilities with this dish are virtually endless.


Try it out and let me know it it turns out!

2 comments:

  1. I made this for dinner tonight and it was so good! It was easy and I have enough left for at least two meals (it's just me!).

    I didn't use garlic and I just used dried basil that I already had. I also recommend cutting the veggies small (like you said) because I didn't so my skillet was quite full!

    I tried one bowl with parmesan cheese and one with feta. I preferred the parmesan - it went really well with all the flavors.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you liked it! It is definitely something we'll be making again and again at my house. And, I think, the Parmesan makes the dish. Then again, I could probably put Parmesan on a boot and think it tastes good.

    ReplyDelete