23 January 2010

Banana Bread Success!

So, this morning I decided that I really needed to use up some bananas that were quickly turning too ripe to eat.  I was torn between making banana waffles in my amazing new waffle maker or making a simple banana bread.  Since I decided to start trying more things with my cooking, I went for the bread, which I have never made before.  It actually turned out amazingly well.  As soon as it was done, I sliced off a steaming hot chunk and slathered a little Earth Balance butter on it.  It was divine!  This recipe has been added to my permanent collection.

Here is my recipe:
Click Here to Print This Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 4 medium-sized ripe bananas
  • 4 TB melted Earth Balance, 
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (I used unbleached all-purpose flour)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg replacement (I use Ener-G)
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • ground cinnamon to taste (I used approx. 1/4-1/3) tsp.
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Mash bananas in a mixing bowl with a fork or potato masher.
  3. Add all other ingredients, mixing well with wooden spoon or spatula.
  4. Butter/lightly oil the loaf pan.
  5. Pour into loaf pan and bake approximately 55 minutes (or until outside is brown and a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean).
  6. The end.  Eat it! *
*Because I don't know if you've made bread before, here is what I did as soon as I got it out of the oven: I ran a thin silicone spatula around the inside of the loaf pan to make sure the bread wasn't stuck.  Then I flipped the pan on its side and the bread slid right out onto a cutting board.  I let it cool about 20ish minutes and then covered it with saran wrap to keep moist.

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely stealing your cooling tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was afraid if I didn't get the loaf out of my glass pan that it would burn. Plus, I've never made bread of any sort and actually had no idea what I was supposed to do after it was done cooking. Lame, I know, but I'm a newbie to this whole cooking thing :)

    ReplyDelete