14 December 2012

Creamy Curry with Tofu


If you read my last post, you know that my pal, Nicole (of Nicole Eats) is completely kickass and my recent cooking inspiration. She has been on a mission lately to help me find a recipe for tofu that will make me actually LIKE tofu. Okay, okay, I am a sucker for a really good scramble. But, I mean tofu as a dish. So, while we were chatting last night I saw a recipe for curried tofu somewhere. It stuck in my brain, so I decided that I needed to make some tofu today...and make it curried. This is not the recipe I found online...or anywhere. This came from my head, and I'm pretty stoked about that. So, I (of course) texted Nicole today to ask if it would work or be any good. I got her approval, and heated up my cast iron skillet.

Making tofu is all fine and good, but what else was this chickpea to make for dinner? Well, I do have a killer rice cooker, so I started some rice. What else? Well, I dug around in the pantry and fridge and scrounged up some awesome. I made a mellow, creamy curry to go with the tofu (which was fucking awesome, by the way), and chowed down.

For the tofu: 
  • 1/4 block of pressed tofu, cut into small cubes (or whatever size gets your motor going)
  • 1 TB cornstarch
  • 1 TB of your favorite curry powder (I've been gifted some Shan brand and it is AWESOME)
  • pinch salt
  • 1TB oil for pan-frying
  1.  Heat the oil in a skillet until shimmering. I had mine over a medium-high heat.
  2. Throw the cornstarch, curry powder, and salt into a bowl and mix well with a fork. 
  3. Toss in the tofu and shake it around until all the sides of the tofu are covered in starch and spice.
  4. Now, carefully pour the tofu into the skillet and make into a single layer if possible. Stir every few minutes, until the sides are a bit crispy and cooked to your liking. 
For the Curry:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
  • 1 small tomato, diced
  • 1/4 of a large red onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, tiny dice
  • 1TB or more of your fave curry powder
  • 1/2 can chickpeas
  • 1/2 can of LITE coconut milk
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 TB cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water until the starch is dissolved
  1. In a skillet with a lid, heat the broth with the curry powder and coriander mixed in. I turned my burner to Med-High for this. 
  2. Once it's hot, add in the cauliflower, carrot, onion, tomato and garlic. Cook, covered, stirring every few minutes, until the veg is a bit crisp. I think mine took 8 minutes. 
  3. Add in the chickpeas, coconut milk, and cornstarch slurry. Keep the lid off, and stir often so the coconut milk doesn't burn to the skillet. Cook until the sauce has thickened to your preference. Mine took about 6 minutes.
Almost there. Just another minute or 2.
So, there you have it. I officially like ONE tofu. And, I am getting back into my kitchen. Thank you, Nicole! You're my foodie BFF. xoxo meg

2 comments:

  1. You are MY inspiration! I am so glad that you made and enjoyed this (trust me, I will be trying it). *Muah!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to know how get tofu crispy in a saucy dish! Definitely trying this way

    ReplyDelete