08 August 2012

Spaghetti and Balls


I've been so busy lately that the blog has been neglected. I do apologize for that. Things are calming down again and I should be able to start cooking more. As an act of good faith, I have decided to share my latest attempt at pasta sauce with you. It is quite yummy. And garlicky. And goes perfectly with The Sexy Vegan's Balls (pictured above). The balls are nutty and moist....all the things a ball should be. Haha. But, really, they are quite delicious. The recipe is not mine to share and can be found in his cookbook.

I had an abundance of tomatoes that were on the verge of going to veggie heaven, so I decided to attempt another marinara sauce. I never remember what all I put in it the last time I made it, so it always turns out differently. This one turned out even more different because my sweet basil died and the only fresh basil I had was Thai basil (it has a slight licorice flavor). It turned out much better than I had anticipated. In fact, we scarfed all the sauce up in one fell swoop. No leftovers made for a sad chickpea the next day.

Serves 2-3 people

  • 6-ish tomatoes (I had 3 large romas, 1 regular, and 2 medium-size orange ones)
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 TB olive oil (I started with 2 and kept adding it as needed)
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • a palmful of fresh basil leaves, maybe about 1/4 cup, then minced
  •  2 TB fresh parsley, minced
  • Parmela vegan parmesan substitute, at least a couple TB
  •  1/4-1/2 tsp dried oregano, depending on your tastes. I used 1/4 as I don't particularly love it.
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 TB sugar
  • 1/4 cup almond milk (sounds weird, but helped in combatting the acidity of the tomatoes)
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add the tomatoes to an oven-safe dish and lightly coat with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and roast for about an hour. Once they are soft and getting some browned spots, go ahead and remove from the oven. Let them cool down a bit before handling them. 
  2. In a skillet, heat 1-2 TB olive oil over medium heat. Once it is hot, add the onion and cook until softened. Then add in the garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant and is soft. Turn down the heat to low. 
  3. Take your tomatoes, a smidge of olive oil, the fresh herbs, sugar and milk and blend it up in your food processor until it is to your liking in terms of chunkiness. Now add this to the skillet and let cook together for at least 10 minutes. I added in the vegan parm and let it cook another 4-5 minutes. Adjust your seasonings and you're done.

3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, I wish I was having that for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE The Sexy Vegan's Balls !!! I even make it as a pate and eat it without baking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! The last sauce I made was crap so I am going to try your recipe. It already sounds one million times better than mine. *insert balls in my mouth joke here*

    ReplyDelete