17 March 2010

Vegan Lettuce Wraps

I decided this morning that I absolutely had to have lettuce wraps like PF Chang's.  My dilemma: distance.  I definitely don't want to drive 45 minutes each way to order appetizers.  So, I set out to find some cook-alike recipes that would fit the bill and taste like the PF Chang's version.  I mostly depended on this website for guidance.  I made mine with just veggies.  I was shocked at how delicious these turned out.  I didn't make the dipping oils, but I thought they were fabulous without.  I should add that this should make enough for 2 adults as the entree, or 3-4 as a side or appetizer.

My hints for this recipe:
  • Look for rice vinegar and sesame oil in your grocery store's "International" aisle with the Asian goods.  
  • Chop your stuff really small, about the size of a kernel of corn. But, by all means, if you want large chunks--go for it. 
  • Use clean, dry iceburg lettuce leaves or napa cabbage leaves.  I prefer the iceburg.
  • To spice the cooking oil a bit, I added a few shakes of dried red pepper flakes.  I let it heat a few minutes this way before adding the veggies.  
Here's My Recipe:
Click Here to Print This Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 2 TB olive oil 
  • 2 TB sesame oil
  • 1 – 6oz can sliced water chestnuts, minced 
  • 4 fresh button mushrooms, minced
  • 1/2 onion, chopped fine
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 of a carrot, shredded
  • 1-2 TB of green pepper, minced
  • 2 TB soy sauce or tamari (low-sodium preferred)
  • 2 TB light brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp rice vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
  • 10 Lettuce leaves for the wraps
Method:
  1. In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, brown sugar and rice vinegar.  Set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil and sesame oil in a wok or large skillet on medium-high heat.  Sprinkle red pepper flakes in.  Let heat about 4 minutes.
  3. Add in water chestnuts, onion, garlic, carrot, green pepper, mushroom and the sauce created in step one.  If you're using meat, add it here as well.
  4. Stir occasionally.  I cooked mine about 7-8 minutes, letting some of the liquid cook off.  The sauce will brown up as it cooks.  
Serve in lettuce leaves.  I added a tiny bit more soy sauce to mine because I love it.   They're absolutely delicious!!  You can definitely add more veggies to suit your tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment