22 February 2010

Spiced Red Potatoes

 
These red potatoes are really tasty, especially dipped in a tiny bit of vegan ranch dressing.  They have a nice mix of chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and paprika.  I tried making these last night for Sara's birthday dinner, but I cut the potatoes too large and they burned outside while they remained raw inside.  It was a total failure.  I don't deal well with failure, so I gave them another go for dinner, and they turned out really well.

My hints for this recipe:
  • Be sure if you make them, cut your baby red potatoes really small (I cut them into 1/4-inch pieces or slightly larger).  That way they'll cook evenly and won't result in total cooking failure like I experienced last night.
  • Mix the spices in a tiny prep bowl and add slowly, tasting as you go along.  What tastes amazing to me might be too much for someone else or vice versa.
Here's My Recipe:
Click Here to Print This Recipe
Ingredient:
  • 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. baby red potatoes
  • 3 TB olive oil
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
Method:
  1. Chop potatoes as noted in the hints above.
  2. Heat oil in a 12-inch straight sided skillet over medium heat for about 4 minutes, or until shimmering not smoking.
  3. Add potatoes in single layer in leave about 5 minutes without stirring (this helps brown the potatoes on that side).  Check a few pieces to see if the bottoms are browned.
  4. Stir potatoes around with a wooden spoon and arrange in a single layer again, trying to get the browned sides of potatoes up so the opposite sides brown.
  5. Cook another 4-7 minutes, or until fork inserted into potatoes meets little resistance and outsides are lightly browned.  
  6. Place a layer of paper towel into a bowl and place potatoes on top to soak grease.  Using another paper towel, dab at potatoes until most oil is removed.  Then, remove the paper towels.
  7. Shake spice mixture, a little at a time, over potatoes and toss to combine..  Add more spices as needed.
Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Those look amazing. But if I put all that spice in Kelly would explode. I do the same sort of thing with differnt (safe for old ladies) spices, but I roast them in the oven, and I usually throw baby carrots in too. They taste fantastic roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mart,
    I love to make foil packets with diced red potato, olive oil, sea salt and smashed (or minced) cloves of garlic. Yummm. Oh, and roasted veggies are king. I like to do cauliflower, carrots, zucchini and squash on a cookie sheet. I'm getting hungry just typing about it.

    ReplyDelete